Sign in to follow this  

steering stem help??

can someone tell me what needs to be done to my lower CR80 triple clamp to allow the steering stem to be pressed up 1/4" so it will bolt up to my 150. I think i've reveiwed all the post regarding the issue and none seem elaborate on the subject. my guess is that it's :cry: quite easy or i'm quite dumb??? is it pressed in from the bottom? i just want to go to the machine shop with an idea of what needs to be done.. thanks again.

It has to be machined on the bottom of the stem hole (with the stem out, of course). I'm having someone do mine but if you are to do it yourself, the stem has to be popped out. Then you'll see there's a lip on the stem. You'll then see that it can't go any higher. Thus, you'll then need to mill off some metal off the triple's bottom and then it will go up 1/4". Reger Engineering is doing mine for me. Good luck.

P.S. Some have said you don't need to do that to pop that bad boy on your CRF. I'm doing it because I wanted new bearings on and they are also pressing on new bearings. I just figured, screw it. I'll just have Reger do it and I'll be done. It's $60 buck. For me, if I got my milling friends to do it, I wouldn't see the darn thing for months. It wasn't worth waiting. Good luck. :cry:

Most aluminum lower triples have the stem pressed in from the bottom. I make upper triples for the crf150 and 230. I am working on the lowers. There should be a lip to prevent the stem from pulling out when it is bolted on.

Just went through this little problem. Reger Engineering charges 24.95 for a steering stop and 40.00 to modify lower triple clamp. From there it bolts right on. You can reach them 877.336.4657. Good Luck

has anyone ever thought about cutting the stem in half and inserting a piece of pipe that fits really tight, then welding the stem back together with it 1/4 inch apart then grinding it down smooth? seems as though it would work