Sign in to follow this  

Pulled Over?

Have any of yous guys been pulled over while riding your dual sport or street motorcycle? I've been riding my CBR for a few years and just started riding my DRZ on the street, cops don't seem to see me. I was just wondering what kind of things y'all might have been written up for..

You should put this on the general forum. You would probably see more of a response.

As for me, I have not been pulled over on my bike. (THANK GOD!) But I have had a scarry expierence passing by one. i was on my way home and passed one on the highway. i was doing around 85 when I passed him. He was in front of a garbage truck, and i did not see him until it was too late. I immediatly started getting over expecting to be pulled over. When he passed back by me, I looked over and he waved. I think he was content with me just slowing down!

:cry:

Most cops don't know alot of the laws regarding motorcycle equipment / mechanical violations. Just ride responsibly / safely, have your bike licensed and you should be fine. :cry:

Earlier this summer I was exiting one of my favorite

riding areas on my 250 and right as I got past the huge

pile of dirt they put there to keep the 4wd trucks out

there was a cop who just happened to be on the street.

(This is right in front of the No Trespassing sign...)

I stopped with my front tire on the sidewalk, and he just

rolled up and asked "You got plates on that thing ?"

I said yes, and he waved, and took off. Very cool it was.

A month or 2 later, the conservation police where in the

same area giving warnings to quads and running them out.

(which is ok with me...)

I was by a soda machine taking a break, and they just

waved at me also. Didnt even stop.

Having a plate is a good thing.

And before I get jumped on by people here for trespassing,

these trails have existed there for over 30 years.

On a mix of otherwise unusable city/county/railroad

property. As long as you arent making lots of noise or

doing doughnuts in nearby parking lots, nobody seems to mind.

Since there are almost zero legal places to ride

within 200 miles, that is where I go, and have for 20-25

years.

I am a real outlaw biker. :cry:

(Unlike 90% of the leatherclad helmetless harley posers)

Never been pulled over on the street on any bike. :cry:

It is almost nice that they have been kicking the quads

and guys with loud 2 strokes the last 10 years, as now

I have an almost private network of trails to ride on.

:cry: :cry:

The only time in recent memory was in Baltimore City when they were having trouble with kids riding MX bikes through the city. And that was probably because my XT350 was stripped down to the bare essentials and looked pretty offroad-ish to the uninformed. Or else the old male cop was trying to show off to the young female cop in the car with him. :cry:

My cop riding buddies tell me that "you can always find something wrong with a bike" so they pull over anybody they think is screwing around. To them that typically means a no helmet squid on a rocket bike, a no helmet burn-out on a rat bike or anybody on anything ridiculously loud. Somebody wearing a helmet and riding gear on a DP bike looks way too serious for the guys I know to even look at - except to check out what they are riding.

The most memorable stop was when I was riding with a cop friend and he recognized one of the above mentioned no helmet burn-outs on a rat XL500. Turns out he had tried to pull the guy over a couple of days before on the PD Kawasaki but the guy had lost him by getting on some railroad tracks and crossing a trestle. No such luck against a better rider on an XT600. It was a very short chase followed by a nice "undercover" bust. And it was the first and only time I have ever seen a DP bike pull over another DP bike.

I have been pulled over so many times on all my bikes its not even funny. The last one was passing a car that slowed to much for a ditch. I pulled a wheelie as I came out of the ditch before I noticed the cop on his bike. He just stood in front of me and waved me to the side. $280 bucks for this one.

The worst one was when I was a kid in Palm Springs. Cop followed me 3 or 4 long desert blocks,(on Monterey ave, from Dina shore to Fred Waring for you that know the desert) and he could not keep up. I was riding an '81 CB750C. He wrote me up for excessive speed 90+, wrekles driving, bald rear tire, no registration, and no motorcycle endorsement. That one was over 1k :cry:

Let's not forget the small detail that it wasn't your bike and they towed it away to boot.

However when I owned that bike I got pulled over blowing a red light on one wheel in Moreno Valley. The cop was so shocked when he pulled me over that he let me go when he realized I wasn't drunk.

Let's not forget the small detail that it wasn't your bike and they towed it away to boot.

Was it your bike I was riding? LOL I don’t think gnostic203 will ever forgive me for that one LOL :cry:

Ive been pulled over on two of my kdx's no blinkers, horn or anything and pulled over on my dr350. As soon as they see plates, they've told me have a nice day. I had one Michigan cop run me to make sure I had no warrants, then told me have a nice day. I know he was running me for warrants because I had a helmet communicator and his transmisson broke in over my radio.

But I've never gotten a ticket.

However when I owned that bike I got pulled over blowing a red light on one wheel in Moreno Valley. The cop was so shocked when he pulled me over that he let me go when he realized I wasn't drunk.

LOL who ever said a big old 750 cruiser wont wheelie :cry:

My father has an XT350 that is street legal. A few weeks ago I was visiting my parents and did a bunch of riding. I never got stopped for anything, but I certainly get strange looks whenever I'm on the street (maybe it's the flat black German helmet I'm wearing).

It seems whenever I pass a police officer they always stare me down until they see the turn signals, mirror, and plate.

Back around 1988 I was pulled over on my plated 85 XT350 with all of the turn signals, lights, mirrors, and DOT "not even knobby" tires. The officer said that my bike sure looked like a dirt bike and admitted that he was surprised to find a 33 year old instead of some kid. He then said that the "real" reason he pulled me over was that I was going kinda fast. I was actually riding slowly after having ridden for about 6 hours, so I wasn't speeding even a little bit. I suppose he was just trying to save face. At least I didn't even get as much as a warning.

i read in the newspaper a few weeks ago that some idiot was clocked at 205 mph by an airplane cop in minnesota. Something to do with a charity motorcycle event and an idiot.

i read in the newspaper a few weeks ago that some idiot was clocked at 205 mph by an airplane cop in minnesota. Something to do with a charity motorcycle event and an idiot.

Yea he posted on a sportbike forum a week after the incident. He Dyno his bike and it toped out at 165 on the dyno. There is no way that it would get up to 205 under any conditions if it did not hit it on the dyno. His buddy with him got ticketed for 105. He was probably "only" doing like 140 LOL

Yes, many times. Always for the dirt bike look too. Sometimes they run the plate/license sometimes it's have a nice day & "I didn't see the plate". Tree cops have been running the plate lately with the excuse that people are taking their Harley plate and slapping it on their dirt bike. I think it's BS, but whatever makes their day..

I've heard of guys getting checked and a very very rare ticket for non-DOT tires. That was from an unreliable source though.

Two guys at our Color Tour last weekend were stopped, taking a paved shortcut back to camp (they were plated). Cop said they were doing 67 in a 55 but that he really pulled them over 'cause it looked like dirt bikes riding through town (no tickets though).

Like the others have said, keep it safe and sorta sane and they either don't bother you or don't write you up.

"Was it your bike I was riding? LOL I don’t think gnostic203 will ever forgive me for that one LOL"

Nah I'll forgive you now, but roost you later.

I managed to get pulled over on my DR350se within a month of when I bought it. The bastard was a county sherriff on a new BMW police bike, and he already had a car pulled over and decided to radar me anyway and waved me to the side of the road and made me wait while he finished writing the other poor sucker a ticket. Like 10 minutes later, he came back to me and wrote me a bogus speeding ticket for 55 in a 45(I had just barely passed a sign where the speed limit went from 50mph to 45mph and my speedo read 52, what a joke!). I tryed like heck to be polite and sweet talk him into letting it slide, and he told me, "I can't let anything slide, but I'll make a note in my report about your courteous attitude and maybe if you take it to court the judge will do something for you." As I rode away I told him, "you can note in your report to go @%$^#@! yourself. I just paid the stupid ass ticket, no point wasting my valuable time at the courthouse for a $120 ticket.

In New York the police seem to look for the inspection sticker on the left front fork. If you have one of them, you won't get stopped. The plate is easy to switch between bikes, but it is much harder to get an inspection sticker since they don't come off easily.

To get to my normal Sunday riding spot on my CRF250X I ride down main street past our local police station in full riding gear and have never been stopped. I do get a lot of looks from other motorists when I come home covered in mud, but I always make sure my plate and blinkers are clean to avoid any issues with the LE.