Sign in to follow this  

CRF Motard against streetbike...

How well would a Crf hold up to a streetbike in a good ol' drag race? Any stories from you guys with motard 450's? I smoked my roomates Ducati 750 monster from 0-60, on the street with dirt tires on my bike.

The Duck 750 is low on power. Ducatis in general make less power than most Japanese bikes for comparable cc's. The new liter ducks make about the power similar to a GXR 750 and that is after Ducati recently bumped up the power.

IMO, a 450 motard would not stand a chance against a new GSXR750. Maybe up to 30 or 40 MPH, depending on gearing but once that Gixxer hits 40 MPH in 1st gear it is at 7000 rpm and the power kicks in hard and it's gone.

Because of the gearing I think accelaration would be slower. It's just a guess but they run like 15/37 gears on those bikes.

My guess a stock CRF would run high 12 second 1/4 miles. That is stock with taller gearing. Last year we took a 98 WR400, a 2001 XR650R, and a 2002 KTM 520EXC to the strip. The KTM and XR both ran high 12's, the WR ran 13 seconds flat. All the bikes were regeared and had pipes, along with universal rear tires.

The dirt bikes would top out before the 1/4 mile. Top speed in the 1/4 (which varies) is around 120mph at 11 seconds flat.

I'll bet my SV650 will out drag my CRF450 in the 1/4. I actually have no doubt. However at the 1/8th mile point it would be VERY interesting.

when i was young and stupid and still working on 2 smokes we had atc 250 rs running in the 12s @ around 100mph also a freind from detroit Vic Force had a 200 x engine in a lay down frame that run in the 14s

I have a '03 crf450 street legal. It is basically stock with mild porting work, 15/42 gearing, Motomaster oversized disk, and street Pirelli Diablos. I can't tell you what would happen at a full on drag strip, but I have had some experience on the street and at VIR for a track day. On the street from 0-50 there is not much that will touch it if you know what you are doing and the other person has never raced/done a moto start. I have taken R1's off the line.

On the race track, it rules tight courses or when the track is wet. I went to VIR for a track day last fall. Sat was VIR south (the tight course) and Sun was VIR north (the main course). It was kind of rainy Sat and I could run with any bike except on the main straight. The motard could out-turn, out-brake, and out accelerate any bike out there - including race preped Ducatis and R1s - with the street compound Diablos. Most people hadn't seen one yet and were in disbelief when I went by them. As the track dried out the acceleration advantage disappeared against the biggest bikes, but I could still hang with any 600. Coming on to the main straight I would pull away from just about everyone even in the dry. About half way down they would all run me down - once I got to about to 100 mph. Sunday on the long course was a different story. The corners were a lot faster. After the second time out I put the bike away. It was too scarry. I was in everyone's way. If the average speed on the track is below about 70 the motard will rule, above that and the power advantage is too much.

Having said all that, its the most fun bike I have ever ridden on the street. Every person who has taken it for a spin had the exact same comment. You won't be disappointed if you build one. Hope this helps.