Sign in to follow this  

stock jetting on 97 xr80??

ive just rebuilt an xr80 for a freind of mine, and after gettin it back together, it is running extremely rich. other than the new wesico top end, it is completely stock, and there doesnt seem to be any reason for it to be running so rich. it fouls out plugs in about 5 min. blows black smoke at WOT, and has a hesitation through the midrange. If you close off the high speed needle, idle increases, back the low speed almost all the way out, idle increases, it will run fairly decent with the high speed completely closed, running almost entirely off the low speed circuit. i think the shop who was supposed to "tune" this bike, re-jetted it like this on purpose, cause they told my freind he needed a new top end after he brought it in for a tune up...now it has a new top end, and its still running the same. I feel bad for not running the bike myself to see what was going on, i just assumed the shop was correct...anyway, sorry for the long post, does anyone know stock jet sizes, and a good starting point for the needles on this bike?

I have an 97 XR80 that fouled plugs like crazy. I ended up replacing the float "valve' and it seemed to fix the problem. I'm not an expert so I'm just relaying my personal experience with my bike.....