Sign in to follow this  

Tires for the dez

Looking to give desert racing a try in two weeks at Johnson Valley and I need a new set of tires.

Front is a POS Kenda K257D that needed to go like last week. All recommendations welcome (one that works well over a wide range of terrain would be cool tho).

Rear is a Kenda Carlsbad thats worked pretty well, so if a fresh one would be a good choice I'll stick with that one, but I wanna hear other favorites as well.

If possible like to stick to moderately priced tires as my budget is tight.

EDIT: I have an 18" rear not the 17" that came stock.

Don't know if it's moderatly priced but the Michelin Baja rear tire kicks a*s. Thing just hooks up in all types of terrain. :cry:

Maxxis Maxcross IT's for the rear are my fave for that area. They wear like iron in the rocky stuff and are good in the sand too. They are very reasonably priced. I also currently have a Maxcross on the front, but next time around I'm going back to a Dunlop D756 on the front. They are a little more expensive and wear out quicker, but the way it holds makes it worth it to me. I don't hate the Maxxis up front though, just not as good as the D756.

Thanks for the replies, I'll take a look at the suggestions.

Josh, you should come out and race with me.

James, you're gonna race that beast? Right on! :cry: :cry: You had better bring someone to take pictures, as we expect to see some posted here when you do!

I've had great luck with Kenda Carlsbad Front tires.

They wear like iron, have great traction, stiff sidewalls, and are inexpensive.

:cry:

My family happened to plan a trip out to Johnson Valley the same weekend as a race so I figured I'd give it a try.

I'll have to round up a family member to come take some pics of me.

JackAttack, I think I may just get a pair of Carlsbad tires.

That Carlsbad Tire is a hard compound tire. I wouldn't think it would give you very good grip in the Ca. Desert.

KEN_K772R_CARLSBAD.JPG

I like the bridgestone M22 on back, I'm running a Maxxis IT up front and it's working pretty good. I've used the M22 forever, it wears good and works everywhere....did I say it wears good? It'll stand up out of turns with 1/4" knobs, never had any other tire hook up like the old wore out M22!