Sign in to follow this  

Observations of my new DRZ400S

First post after lurking for a while. Lots of great advice and info here! I recently purchased a new '04 DRZ400s from Motorcycle Brokers International ( I'll get into that in a another post) and thought it might be interesting for others out there to here my observations after a few weeks of mods and riding. First things first, I love the bike and this forum!

I rode a 1984 Honda XR500(dual-sported) for over 10 years and finally decided to get a new bike. The DRZ was an obvious choice for me. Most of my riding is up in Lake Tahoe area on the west shore; Rubicon trail, Miller lake area, but I also do some riding in the Santa Cruz mountains. I wanted a dirt bike that was street legal so I can ride on surface streets to get to the good stuff. Anyway, I putted the bike around thinking I needed to follow the manufacturers break-in advice only to discover that many people here have their own break-in advice. Warm up the bike for 15 minutes and ride hard! I liked that advice. Now I was free to open up throttle and see how this baby responds;). I was happy. I did all the mods talked about here including a Yosh slip-on exhaust but put off the Dynojet and airbox mod untill after my first Tahoe ride. Well actually I did cut the 3x3 airbox hole when I got up there. Since I didn't re-jet for the elevation I figured it would help a bit which it did. Still, the bike had noticibly less power at that elevation. That didn't stop me from having fun. My buddy on his XR400 and me on my shiny new DRZ400 made it all the way down to the Rubicon River and back with no bruises on our bodies and big smiles on our faces. We did a couple of drag races on the street to see how our bikes compared. We were pretty much neck and neck - which actually dissapointed me a little since I thought my bike had more horsepower. I just attributed it to the 14-47 gearing. I did start to pull away in fourth gear though!

When I returned to Santa Cruz I did the Dynojet mod per Burned's specs and all I can say is WOW! Huge improvement.

I'd like to see that XR400 keep up with me now. The Yosh pipe sounds awsome - unless your my neighbor. The 14-47 gearing is great for trails but makes highway cruising almost impossible without going too slow for the person behind you or over-revving. I can comfortably do 100kmh which I think is only about 55mph with that gearing. Stock gearing I could do 120kmh. Oh how I wish I had a sixth gear. The bike does have a slight shimmy at high speeds on the road but I think it is from the knobbies I put on. All in all I am very happy with my bike. Thanks to all those on this forum who helped.

Yup, that's my 6 year old on the bike asking "when can I get one?" while my wife cringes at the thought. :cry:

Yup, that's my 6 year old on the bike asking "when can I get one?" while my wife cringes at the thought. :cry:

You have started the boy on path to true happiness. My 6 yr old nephew is already hooke after one trip to the beverly dunes. And I to just bought an 04 drz full yosh and jet, air box wow is :cry: and wives mothers and sisters will never understand a bike junky :cry: :cry: