Help! Can't decide 250F or 450F.

I have a great 04 450, it is well sorted and I really like it. But of course I'll get an 05. Question is do I get a 450 and set it up like my 04 or do I get a 250, pop a 302 kit on it and then set it up like my 04...

I'm 6'3" 190, either a fast 40+ int or a slow 40+ exp. I'm leaning towards the 250F, but I'm worried I'm too big, too old and too slow to wring it out right. I do like the way I can be lazy on the 450 and still be pretty quick.

I also am 40+ 5'10" and 195.The cfr 250 hauls me around fine.I had a crf450 and i like the 250 better. Gets me over the same jumps with no problem.Not just small tables im talking 100' jumps.I have an 04.Over the winter i will get the head done and then maybe i will work on the bike, ?.

I must say...I have a 2005 CRF250...I'm only 15 years old I'm 6"2' and 185 pounds and after about 2 weeks of riding the 250, I am already flicking it around. I am coming off a tricked out 150 which was basically a pit bike, there was nothing too it. But each day, it seems the 250 gets smaller. I'm not wishing I got the 450, but it just seems like the bike can be too small at times. I think the motocross market is going to start demanding taller bikes for us big guys. And even still, I turned 15 only like 3 weeks ago and I still have quite a few more years of growing. ? Since your a little older, maybe you'll have more fun on a 250, it is an amazing bike, I'm just a kid looking to kill myself ? (not literally)

I was in the same boat. I came from a 2002 YZF 250. I considered the CRF450 but the current price talked me out of it. If you are used to a 450 now the CR250F will feel like a mountain bike. It is also very twitchy and it goes where it's pointed. My YZF has "lazy" handling which makes the bike feel very stable and planted. It makes you feel safe. My new 05 CRF250 is alot more fun but it feels like a 125 for sure. My YZ felt like a 250.

I have an 03 450 and a new 250. First thing to consider is the track. Small 2nd and 3rd gear tracks favor the 250. Corner speed and getting tired favor the 250 by a long shot. On big tracks like Glen Helen, the 450 will be much faster everything else equal. Another consideration is the start. Everything being equal, the 450 will start at the front of the pack, the 250 probably at the back. Again it matters, a long 4th gear uphill start and the 450 wins hands down. A cement short start and it wont make much difference. Another consideration is the fun factor. The 250 for me is way more fun. I probably will end up selling the 450 because the 250 is so much more fun to ride. BTW it sound like we are about the same age and speed. I recommend keeping the 450 and buying a 250. Next year get an 06 450. Thats my plan.

Ok! I am a woods rider and have a heavily moded '02 450 and i recently bought an '05 250 with only a pipe added.

With the mods i have made to my 450 it will do anything and everything i want but it is a bit much in the tighter trails i like to do. I was concerned that a 250 wouldn't be enough power but i was very surprised once i got it out on the trail.

When i am on the 250 i am having more fun than i have ever had in my life! It is so light and flickable compared to my 450 and i only wish i had more power on the more open trails, or about 25% of the time.

I do find myself shifting more and i have lost the ability to just roll the throttle and bring the front end up at anytime. I am a big guy at 230 pounds so that may not be a problem for you. ?

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll stick with the 450. The only thing I wish was different was the gyroscopic effect. I can feel the bike wanting to keep going straight when braking hard...there is no way around this if you want the power. I figured the 250F would be more nimble in this respect, but I sounds like I will miss the power more.

I ride 100% MX. If I rode on trails I might of thought differently. The one time I took the 450 in the woods I thought it was a beast.

A suzukis don't have oil issues and B I haven't had to so much as shim the valves. Many others have had the same experience as I do. The sad part is both these bikes may have their problems with the valve train but at least the Suzuki/Kawasaki is faster and more powerful. Having to replace a valve sucks but having to replace valves and eat dust really blows ?

A suzukis don't have oil issues and B I haven't had to so much as shim the valves. Many others have had the same experience as I do.

Matybe you haven't but others have.

Kawzuki valve problem

Having to replace a valve sucks but having to replace valves and eat dust really blows

I think we will have to have that CT ride so we can see who will be eating dust. ?

what town u live in throttle? You in for some powerlines one of these weekends in october? If so, you can come along, as a matter of fact my buddy has a cr125 so I can smoke ya both. I'm very familiar with that post you mentioned, as I said not everyone has had problems with the honda, and not everyone has had problems with the kawi/suzuki.

A suzukis don't have oil issues

All single compression ring 250Fs (the Suzuki included) have oil control problems. It's a direct consequence of not having a second compression ring that works as an oil scraper. All you have to do is take a few RMZs apart to see they have the exact same oil issues as the Honda, for the exact same reason.

If so, you can come along, as a matter of fact my buddy has a cr125 so I can smoke ya both. I'm very familiar with that post you mentioned, as I said not everyone has had problems with the honda, and not everyone has had problems with the kawi/suzuki.

? Sounds like you should be racing the National's.

What class do you race?