Sign in to follow this  

To Filter or Not to Filter?

So my buddy tells me to put a fuel filter on my 04 CRF450. Says all bikes should have em. I have one on now but when I snap the throttle too fast it bogs out and stalls. Of course I did just put on a new Clarke 3.3 gallon tank so I'll need to re-check all my lines and routes again but what is the general opinion of fuel filters on these rides??

YES, use an inline filter. I just put a Clarke on mine with an inline and I have no hesitation whatso ever. Although the Clarke fit like a square peg in a round hole.

Yeah man I had more problems then I thought with the Clarke. The tank didn't seat right on the frame and I had to dremel my right radiator shroud holes to move far enough forward to screw down.

So when you are fighting for position in a harescrambles race you want have to stop for gas......

The reason I needed that tank, and anyone for that matter who rides this bike for anything other than the track does, is because it is a gas hog. I live in the Palm Springs area and use my ride mostly for open desert, hill climbs, and canyon trail riding and I am always the first one to have to turn back because my bike is low on fuel.

Sure the tank weighs more full and effects my overall riding position but now I can ride all day with my friends on their WR's and XR's so its worth the trade-off. If riding all day is your cup of tea then this tank is a must over the stock 1.8 gallon and trust me, it makes a world of difference.

However back to the topic, to filter this beast or no?

Absolutely filter it. I've got a 3.2 gallon IMS with an inline and have had no problems with performance. I second you on the all day riding. :cry:

You should already have a stock fuel filter in the tank. The little screen thing on the metal outlet that bolts to the bottom of the tank, for the fuel line.

With all the aftermarket tanks, you should wash them out BEFORE using them. I had about a 1/2 teaspoon of plastic shavings in there. They came from when the manufacturer trimmed the tank.