Sign in to follow this  

Economics of a dirt track. (Question)

How do you make money (just to break even) with a dirt bike track.

The start up cost would be astronomical:

1. Land

2. Equipment

3. Insurance *shiver* :cry:

4. Maintenance

5. Security

6. …. :cry:

So, how do you at least break even? There is not a track within 200 miles from me, but I don’t think the population up here can support a track.

Can you use a MX track in the winter with sleds?

How do the USA tracks stay working? Is it because of the larger population?

People in this area, Idaho and Wyoming, that have tracks usually have a bit of land to support it. Those with land usually have a tractor or know people in the construction business that have tractors and water trucks etc. As for insurance...its called a WAIVER. I know, I know I can hear you already, "waivers dont mean s**t". Well, it does around here where the good ol' boy network still rules. Besides, if you as an adult, get on someones private property to ride a track, the owner would then just claim ...you got it, TRESSPASSING. The rider loses in court. Beside people that ride know it is a dangerous sport; that is why we like it!! :cry:

As far as support there are tracks that charge $10 to $20 bucks a day to get on where others just look for you to do a bit of work in trade for the use of the track. Smoothing out berms, taking ruts out, that kind of stuff. It seems to work out well and I too live in an area that soes not have a ton of riders around.