Sign in to follow this  

Wasted Spark in XR 400/ XR 80?

Back in the dirt after a 30 year absence-God, how dirt bikes have changed (for the better)!

Here's my question:

While doing the 100 RPM idle drop to dial in my XR 400 and my son's XR 80, I attached a tachometer with an induction pickup around the spark plug lead.

To my surprise, the tach seemed to read really high--around 3,000 RPM at idle (but, of course, my ears knew that the bike was around 1,500 RPM).

I assumed at first that the tach was bad, or the induction pickup didn't just like the spark plug lead, but I had another idea a few days later.

I surmised that the RPMs I saw on my tachometer were consistent with a wasted spark ignition system (like my old Harleys) where the plug fires every time the piston is close to TDC. A wasted spark ignition system would account for the roughly 2xs readings on my tach (since the plug fires every time the piston reaches TDC--regardless of whether the piston is on a compression or exhaust stroke. The exhaust stroke spark doesn't ignite anything--so, hence, it is "wasted").

So, what say the experts? Wasted spark, or busted tach?

Last--cool site! I've only had the bikes about a month, but have already learned a ton here.

Uh, I dunno the answer to your question.

But welcome here. You sound a lot like me. :cry:

(XR4 after 25 - 30 yrs off bikes. XR80 for the kids - excellent. It just gets better!)

If it were reading 1/2 the RPM, I would say it was set for a 2 stroke engine, but since it's apparently doubling, I don't have a clue. Since we know from "valve setting 101", that it shows TDC on the flywheel on both strokes, I would guess your assumption of firing on both strokes is right.