Sign in to follow this  

XR250 problems

I just got a 2002 XR250 from my couosin who just got the top end rebuilt. Right now the top end probably has about 6 or 7 hours on it. The problem I have is, it blows blue smoke out of the exhaust pipe all the time. You can mostly see the smoke when it is idleing. Also the throttle response is very very poor. I can easily kill it when it is idleing after it's warm. What is the problem? could it be the jetting? could it be the rings didn't seat right? I know it is not supposed to do this. what is wrong?

Tons of things to take into account here. It's a 2002, why was he rebuilding it?? This could be from not properly honing the cylinder as the crosshatches are what permit a ring seal. Could also be some jetting woes and some blow-by. However, with 6-7 running hours on it that bike should be broken in. If it's all brand new and didn't smoke prior to rebuild, then I'm willing to be he didn't hone the cylinder out. Also do not use any type of synthetic oil during break-in. Your rings will never seat.

<font color="navy">Do you know why the rebuild was done? Perhaps one symptom was addressed (e.g., smoking due to bad rings), but another was missed (e.g., valves not seated right)? I'd be a bit suspicious about why a rebuild was required after ~2 years and wonder what else might have been wrong.

That's not to say it's hopeless, just worth checking out. Do you have a reputable shop nearby that can diagnose it without charging you and arm and a leg?

the bike was rebuilt, because the owner before my cousin turned the spark plug the wrong way and stripped the threads. the thing is it starts first kick every time. do I need a new piston and rings??? would just leting it go hurt anything???

Wow just because it needed a quick helicoiling. Anyhow, it won't do anyharm to just ride it like it is. It'll never seize on yah. Just keep up on the oil, like every ride. However it won't have the power or compression it should.

Oil ring is on the piston. It needs to come apart for that. It sounds like it needs to come apart again. If this is not within your skill level take it to a shop. Something was not done right. If it is not fouling plugs, it will not really hurt to keep riding it. Don't let it run low on oil. I have found that if a engine is babied to much on breakin the rings may not seat. I break all mine in this way. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm Never had a problem.

If you don't know what the oil ring is, don't attempt to go in that far. Have either a shade tree mechanic buddy you trust mechanically help out or just break down and pay the shop. It could be anything from the oil ring to a bad valve stem seal but sounds like the head needs to come off. Good luck!

wldrdr