Sign in to follow this  

just got rmz250

i just got my 2004 rmz250 last night is there any thing about this bike i should change i wont be able to ride it for 2 months (broken leg) its brand new

So you got a YZF250 & a KXF250 ?? Did you trade the exc or is it for sale now? Your rmz needs bars & chain & very frequent oil changes, that's it.

the guy backed out of the yz250f trade so i took the bike to state 8 and traded it in on the rmz250

the stock chain will hold up fine for now. Get something better when the sprockets wear down. The stock handlebars are junk as pointed out. I recommend getting a stainless steel oil filter so u save some money in the long run. Make sure you check the clickers and tire pressures to see if they are in spec from the factory. Also tighten up all the bolts. since u'll have 2 months you can also take apart the head bearings and suspension linkage to grease them. Not that it's neccessary to do it but you might as well do it since you have the time. :cry:

You'll need that chain, unless you want to tighten the stock chain after EVERY ride, stock chain stretches like a rubber band.

Who doesn't want to tighten chains after every ride? I noticed if I run it right around 2.3 in. it doesn't stretch much at all.

Dirt you have replied to just about every post here, you must have a wealth of knowledge and experience, In my experience the stock chain needs tightening after EVERY ride, gets old quick, I also think it's best to get the chain while the sprockets are New.. I wouldn't want a new chain thrown on after the sprockets get wore down.

As for Oring & Xring I think both are good & resist stretching 10x better than stock. The oring is more popular.

the stock chain on my 05 was like a rubber band. It was terrible. I have replaced the chain and sprockets with a renthal set and it has been great.

i purchased the Renthal Chain and sprockets, I put these on my 05 rm z250 and they have been an excellent set. The stock set was crap for lack of a better word.

well lets face it all stock chains are junk (except KTM they put the good stuff on). but you know what i do get the Renthal chain sproket combo on, adjust the chain twice and ride, it only strethes a few times and then stays where you left it GOOD STUFF