Sign in to follow this  

Hungry Valley (Gorman) this weekend (10/15-16)

<font color="navy">The whole famn damily and I will be hitting Hungry Valley this weekend. Probably staying over Friday night at Lane Ranch and doing most of our riding Saturday. We'll have the kids with us (read: slower, easier ride than normal), but feel free to stop by and say hi! Look for a white F350 with license DIRTOYS...

just take the 5 freeway north.....you can't miss it you will see the signs for Gorman/Hungry valley...

its about 20minutes past Magic Mountain....

<font color="navy">Man, we had a GREAT time Friday and Saturday. Got up in time Friday afternoon/evening to set up camp and still have a couple hours of light left to ride, as well as all day Saturday (just before the rain moved in).

HVOct2004_007_sml.jpg

Notice the license plate on the truck 😢

HVOct2004_008_sml.jpg

Finally got my youngest moved up to an XR100, so here's a current pic with everyone and their respective bikes:

HVOct2004_015_sml.jpg

There was some deep sand behind our camp -- proving it can still be fun for an adult to flog an XR100:

HVOct2004_019_sml.jpg

But, better for me to stick to my XR400.

HVOct2004_028_sml.jpg

Twist the throttle hard and you can really roost in that stuff!

HVOct2004_035_sml.jpg

Finally, just for grins, here's my 14yo screwing around on the XR100 (it got plenty of use over the weekend):

XR100 fun

'nuff of that. Perhaps we'll see a few more of you up there next time!

V908,

I noticed you have a Volunteer OHV Patrol placard on the front of your bike. How does one join this patrol? I tried contacting the OHV division of CA State Parks via email to get more info about joining, but haven't gotten a response yet.

Thank you for any info you can provide.

-Moondogger

I went up on Sunday after my buddies decided not to go to Jawbone. It was raining at 5:30 am so we decided not to get soaked loading up. At 10:00 it was looking excellent outside so I loaded up and went solo. It was epic. Excellent traction, no dust, not many people and I got in 2 one hour rides.

<font color="navy">Moondogger, the Volunteer OHV Patrol is in somewhat of a holding pattern due to the recent departure of the ranger who was coordinating the program. However, the head ranger has determined who the follow-on ranger will be and I hope to see things pick up again from a management standpoint. Meanwhile, if you'd like to express your interest in the program, feel free to call the Hungry Valley headquarters office at (661) 248-7007 and let them know you'd like to talk to a ranger about it (you usually get a receptionist or answering machine as the rangers are typically out in the field). If they are able to take on new volunteers at this point, they'll let you know. If you'd like more information about the program than I can realistically provide via this forum, PM me and we can arrange sometime to talk on the phone...