Sign in to follow this  

New Tail light setup

This past weekend i changed my rear end a bit. That stock fender was killing me. I went with a 12 dollar enduro light made by maier. its about 2" by 4". and i made small brackets for my turn signals to mount them off of the tabs on the frame. the moved my plate to the inner fender. If you bend it a bit, it bolts right up with the two fender bolts. then i used the small incandescent tag lights. here are a few pics i took today.

drztailbackleft.JPG

drztailrear.JPG

drztailright.JPG

Very nice you are doing exactly what I Will be doing shortly thanks for the pics and I will post some pics of mine when I do my rear light removal. I think I wiil go with led stuff very small and brite, :cry: but we'll see. Your bike looks great :cry:

this light isnt dot but still very bright, i was suprised. for the turn signals the left one mounted great and tucked under the fender but the same mount on the right side hit the muffler so i just took some flat stock and drilled it to put them back to have enough clearance on the muffler. One thing i did was remove the tool bag and use the hole in the center of the subframe to mount one of the tail light bolts. That way if i didnt like it the bag would cover the hole back up. I got both trak masters and the light from the TT store shipped to me for a little over 100 bucks. not too bad. Ill try to get some pics of the tail light on so you can see how bright it is.

looks sweet :cry: I might have to do that myself :cry: Where is your plate again :cry: :cry:

drzplate.JPG

its on the inner fender, you can see the bottom of it. i used the two bolts that holds the rear fender on. Ill get a closer pic of it if you want. I have to rewire the tag lights. The good thing about the tag, if i accelerate hard you cant see it :cry:

I like that setup, however I went with one that is a little more legal. :cry:

PS I am new if you hadn't noticed I am not sure on how to insert a pic to show what I have done.

RS

Bad link, doesnt work, sorry dude.

The link works fine for me.

nice setup california. I see you used the holes on the subframe to mount your turn signals. Thats where i put them first but i wanted to leave the little heat shield there. it looks nice. If it doesnt pass in spection ill change something but i doubt it will have trouble, maybe the tag. i just hate all the clutter on the rear fender.

tag.JPG

I realize this is way off the main subject, but your stock exhaust looks as though it has been modified. I am not sure what is different, but it looks different. What did you do if anything? (or am I loosing it? lol)

Bad link, doesnt work, sorry dude.

The link works fine for me.

Oh sure now it works :cry:

I clicked it before and said 404.

exhaust looks normal to me. Just end cap drilled.

How did you run the wires for the tag lights?

The setup looks great. I had the same tail light on my XR, just be carefull when fitting the lens after replacing bulbs. The small plastic tabs which the screws turns into breaks easily :cry:

fred, on californiadrz's bike the little heat shield(plastic) that sits on top of the muffler is removed. thats what the signal hits if you bolt them as far back as they go. If there was an aftermarket muffler it would be just fine but the stock one you need to remove that little plastic shield. For the tag lights i just wired them together to the tail light and ground lead. still looking for better connectors to use. not to happy with my"rig" to get it working.

drilling the endcap is mostly just for sound. the E model doesnt have the small opening in the end cap that the S does. if you look at mine is been drilled out, thats the only thing different about it.

matt