Sign in to follow this  

GPS setups

What's everyone using for GPS setups?

I'm in the market, I use a garmin 2610 for my cars & streetbike, but I'm not sure I want a 900 $ gps strapped onto my XR

What's everyone using?

I dont need color, need something cheap, durable, and that has road routes

sugestions?

I think I'm going to go with the Garmin eTrex Legend 8 MB it's 145 $ from amazon

doesnt have any maps, I've got mapsource already, not sure if I can use 2 gps's with it

maybe a RAM mount (45 $ for it), or just toss it into the backpack and only pull out when I'm lost

the etrex ledgend C is neat, but 300 $ twice as much ! however, it comes with auto routing, just like the 2610 I have, no software for detail maps though

Garmin vista with RAM mount and run batteries with no problem so far. Will eventually wire it somehow to the bike but for right now the Vista gets 12 hours on batteries if left on all the time so is plenty for me. Vista cost me like $289 with the mail in rebate and it holds 24mb of memory.

I looked at these, and for the life of me, I think they all do the same thing, some have compass, but I can deal without that

I seriously cannot figure out what the differnece is between some of these, as far as I can tell they all will take the same maps, topo or street

I think the basemaps are the only difference the etrex legend color for 300 $ seems like a good deal, I kinda like autoroute, and it looks like the 8mb legend does not autoroute, 60 $ for a compass seems steep, I can see where the sun is usually

etrex legend 8mb, 4 level greyscale 150 $ no auto route?

etrex legend C, color 298 $ limited autoroute

MAP76 4 level greyscale, 319 $ better autoroute

GPSMAP 60C color, 350 $ limited autoroute

etrex vista C, color 360 $ compass, limited autoroute

I use a gps V on mine with the touratech mount..make sure you tape the bateries and use dialective grease on the tips if you are running off only the batteries.

I think I'm going to go with the Garmin eTrex Legend 8 MB it's 145 $ from amazon

I would pass on the Etrex Legend. I've been using mine with a Ram mount and have had intermittent problems with the joystick. My friend has one also and has experienced similar problems. The Etrex's are great little units but don't seem to be up to the vibration of a dirt bike. The 76, 60 and V's seem to do better on a bike. I'm in the process of deciding on a replacement.

Ive been happy with my Garmin Rhino 130 ($280)

24mb memory, radio, altimeter, compass, etc, etc.

Great autotracking and the altimeter over distance graphs

it produces in the mapsource software are pretty cool.

Mega,

I've got a near new Legend with not so much as a scratch.

I don't need it anymore. PM me if you're interested.

Keith

Garmin Map76 with RAM mount, external antenna, hard wired to bike power add mapsource topo software great set-up

if you dont mind me asking - how much was your setup????

thanks,

jeff :cry:

I went with the Magellan Meridian Color (300) and the ram mount. Got the topo software and the unit runs on rech. batteries with no problems although a hardwire setup sounds nice. First thing I did was get a clear sticker material for my gps display for protection from mud dirt etc. which I highly recommend.

Riding and exploring new trails with the gps is great. It helps alot to mark waypoints of cool/important spots like trail heads, lookout spots, etc before you head out for a ride.

Check the link below to see what route I went with for an 01 XR650R. Let me know if you got any questions. Setup is rugged as I just rode a 75 mile Turkey Run and numerous other short outings.

Chan

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB45&Number=1284163&Forum=UBB45&Words=inchanwetrust&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=1249307&Search=true#Post1284163

I also have the Garmin V and Ram mount. Not hard wired, use tape, etc on batteries. Only problem I've had was a lost antanae. It got knocked off in some heavy brush and I never found it. I"ve now mounted the antanae to my front number plate and still get great reception. :cry:

Garmin Map76 with RAM mount, external antenna, hard wired to bike power add mapsource topo software great set-up

if you dont mind me asking - how much was your setup????

thanks,

jeff :cry:

I believe it was around $350 but not sure

I ended up with a etrex legend C

I needed a handheld for hiking, and I wanted color

i'm using it in DC right now, works great in the rental car, I would be lost without it

does not have voice like my 2610 has, but it does beep when there's a turn, which is enough for me.

the only thing I wish it had, is card memory, so I could swap topo maps for routeablemaps, I currently use routable maps and it has most but not all forest service roads.

The topo maps I've played with seem to have all the service roads, but you cant auto route with those maps :cry:

I recently bought a Garmin Legend on sale at a great price.

So far I am very happy with it. I too did not want to worry about trashing a $500 unit and needed something handheld.

I comes with some very basic base maps, major highways only, no side streets.

For me this is sufficient. My primary need was to have a backtrack feature for when I explore new places. But you can buy more detailed street maps but i think once you go to more detail you would want a color screed (I am thinking of upgrading to a legend C).

I used it on one dirtbike outing so far. Stuck it in a bag on the front number plate and it was fine...battery life is great.

Check out www.expertGPS.com for software that lets you overlay your track onto an aerial or topo map online.

It is also perfect for Geocaching (check out www.geocaching.com for info)

Good Luck,

Scott

I run a Magellan Meridian on a RAM Mount hard wired to bike. Works perfect. Dropped it once and now the light doesn't work. Bought it off a guy for $50, he couldn't figure out how to use it and got frustrated!

Also use OziExplorer software. Works great!