Sign in to follow this  

Piece of [@#$%&*!] Honda 2004 450

It is in the upper 50's lower 60's right now and this piece of [@#$%&*!] will not start!!!!!!!! Air filter is clean, I just put in a new plug. Old plug is only about 13 days old. it is black already. Two weeks ago a Honda Mechanic adjusted carb and valves this is when the old plug was put in. I am sick of this bike!!!!!

Sounds like a jetting issue, obviously. If the plug is black, it is running rich. Mabe your mechanic did something contraindicative to the actual cause of the problem? If you want help, there should be a simple fix for your problem by using simple and standard jetting techniques. However, if you continue to spew flame talk, I doubt anyone here will be willing to help you much...

You have one of the best MX bikes out there, whether or not you are willing to spend a couple hours of time to make it perform properly is up to you.. If you are not, then you better get something a bit less complicated like an old air cooled XR400. This is a race bike plain and simple and they require a bit of setup sometimes for different conditions.

You did not even state what altitude or locale you are in.

How many rides in that 2 weeks since the tune up?

The valves could be out of spec again as well...

Black plug is rich...it probably turned black kicking the bastard 200 times!

Check your packing...maybe youre plugged. Check your breather tube.

If your intake valves were losing clearance, then the mechanics adjustment was only a temporary fix :cry:. Once the stock intake valves begin to get pounded, shimming them only buys you a few rides before they lose clearance again :cry:. I would check your valve clearances again and begin trouble shooting from there.

You are right - it is a piece of [@#$%&*!]

I will help you out and give you $50 for it, to take the problem off your hands.

You are right - it is a piece of [@#$%&*!]

I will help you out and give you $50 for it, to take the problem off your hands.

Well, that's a bit low, I will give him $100 since it is such a pile...

No your all missing the obvious, he's twisting the throttle to start it like his 74 Pinto needs to be when it's cold!

:cry:

Dave, Will it push start? If it will, then do the spark plug reading test at each appropriate throttle opening to check each of your jets to see if they are rich or not. This procedure is on Gary Semics' Bike Setup video, for example, and is probably posted somewhere else as well.

If the bike will not push start, then check spark, gas and compression. You probably already have, but it doesn't hurt to re-check. And check to be sure both ends are unplugged -- the gas tank vent and the exhaust pipe. Do you feel the impulses coming out the exhaust pipe when you kick it over? The worst day I ever had trying to start my old XR250 was the time I didn't notice that I had forgotten to take the masking tape off of the exhaust pipe after the last bike washing. :cry: And be sure that you are using brand new high-octane gas fresh from the pump. If the gas is a week or two old, drain it out (drain the float bowl too), stick it in your truck, and put in new gas.

It also sounds really weird if I understood you correctly -- did you say that you put a brand new plug in, and after some kicking it was black? Black with what? 4-stroke gas is clear.

Hope some of that helps. Good luck, and get it running dude!

I'll do everyone, one better. I will give you my yz426. I like the my CRF450 soo much that I know it would love to have another sibbling in the garage.

I didn't realise the rules included barter for items other than cash.

In that case, I will trade you my friend's little sister for your piece of [@#$%&*!] 450.

She is not much to look at, but I hear she is quite a good cook.

It is in the upper 50's lower 60's right now and this piece of [@#$%&*!] will not start!!!!!!!! Air filter is clean, I just put in a new plug. Old plug is only about 13 days old. it is black already. Two weeks ago a Honda Mechanic adjusted carb and valves this is when the old plug was put in. I am sick of this bike!!!!!

sounds like to me you need to go with BLUE :cry:

What bikes have you had in the past that you can justify this bike as a piece? My KX 500 will out do this bike in a flat out drag race and it also is easier to ride, due to it having 78 ponies at the rear wheel as compared to 55. That being said, this bike handles 1 million times better. I just need to get used to the starting ritual.

No, I'm serious guys. I will trade my yz426 in a heart beat for another crf. I love my crf and my crf loves me. We both have enough love to share with another crf. If this interests you contact me.