Sign in to follow this  

Piece of [@#$%&*!] Honda 2004 450

I would guess it's the intake valves if you have more than 2 rides on it since your last adjustment.

Check em, it only takes 10-15 minutes and most of that is taking off plastic and making sure everything is clean.

Go ahead and make your life easier - Get those Ti intake valves out of there and replace them with KW Stainless valves. Make sure you get the spring kit and make sure that whoever changes them cleans the valve seats real good and Laps the new valves real good.

I was also about buy a different bike before I switched to stainless valves. :cry: :cry: :cry:

What bikes have you had in the past that you can justify this bike as a piece? My KX 500 will out do this bike in a flat out drag race and it also is easier to ride, due to it having 78 ponies at the rear wheel as compared to 55. That being said, this bike handles 1 million times better. I just need to get used to the starting ritual.

Is your KX stock?

Did the Honda mechanic take the carb apart? If so, there is a good chance he put the plate on the carb slide on upside down. This is a common error and would cause the problem you are talking about.

Did the Honda mechanic take the carb apart? If so, there is a good chance he put the plate on the carb slide on upside down. This is a common error and would cause the problem you are talking about.

Good call! I've done that one myself. :cry:

Is this your first 4-stroke? I also have a 2004 crf450. It is unquestionably the best bike I have ever owned. After a year of riding it 2-3 days a week and racing almost every weekend I had to finally replace my valves and rings. If your bike insn't staring, your intake valves are most likely to blame. Like mentioned already, this is a race bike, treat it as one. I don't know your riding skill level, but I know I take great care of my bike so it in turn takes great care of me. As far as your problem, my Honda mechanic who I trust said he has noticed that those of us who are running Ult. 4 race fuel ( we are cheap and cut it 50-50) are having alot less issues. Is your mechanic a real mechanic? Is your fuel on? Are you mixing with a pre-mix? good luck

KX500 easier to ride than a CRF? Sure - as long as you don't ever try to turn or jump. More ponies doesn't mean easier to ride all the time. Those things are retarded on a MX track, that's why there's no class for them anymore.

i bet you mixed your premix too rich...or your reeds need to be changed. :D:D

i had the same problem on my 450. check the valves first. very easy. if they are okay, then check the timing and the auto-decomp mechanism. if your mechanic just reshimmed the valves then there is a good chance that he did not tighten down this decomp screw. i did it once as well. look in your manual for the valve specs...i think the total of the valve clearance and decomp is .024" or .010 for the valve and 0.14 for the decomp. somebody verify this please...if all of the above is good, change your gas and plug and drain the bowl.

KX500 easier to ride than a CRF? Sure - as long as you don't ever try to turn or jump. More ponies doesn't mean easier to ride all the time. Those things are retarded on a MX track, that's why there's no class for them anymore.

Yea back then when there was a class for them they pretty much ruled.In the mid 80's the only bike to give them fits were the cr500. I remember the first year cr500 were a handful themselfs.

Hmmmmmmmm..............TJ........we almost posted at the same time again.

I hope this dude found out what was wrong with his POS CRF.

I'm willing to bet it was the de-harmonized synthesizing platform which initiates the proportioning valve when actuating the transducer. Sometimes the tolerencing solenoid will have the set screw loosen up, which in turn allows the friction plate to become unstable.

Either that or his pilot jet was clogged or the valves were at zero clearance.

Is this your first 4-stroke? I also have a 2004 crf450. It is unquestionably the best bike I have ever owned. After a year of riding it 2-3 days a week and racing almost every weekend I had to finally replace my valves and rings. If your bike insn't staring, your intake valves are most likely to blame. Like mentioned already, this is a race bike, treat it as one. I don't know your riding skill level, but I know I take great care of my bike so it in turn takes great care of me. As far as your problem, my Honda mechanic who I trust said he has noticed that those of us who are running Ult. 4 race fuel ( we are cheap and cut it 50-50) are having alot less issues. Is your mechanic a real mechanic? Is your fuel on? Are you mixing with a pre-mix? good luck

UUhh..... this thread is from oct 2004 :D:D

You guy'e realize this is a post from last October, right???

This is true but the topic got alittle off line and everybody had alittle fun with it again.LOL

Maybe he's still kicking it :D:D

:eek:

MAYBE its really a blue bike...

Ahhhhhh memories of kicking my 426 until my leg went to sleep....

:D

I love my 05.....