Sign in to follow this  

Krylon paint update

I painted all my plastics with the Krylon Fusion plastic paint over a month ago and have ridden it pretty hard since then.

You guys asked to be kept posted so here it is.

Just took some photos with the ole A80. The descriptions are for the pictures -under- the description itself.

No yellow at all showing here. Those deep scratches are from a pre-painting fall. krylon1.jpg

Some paint scratched off in a fairly nasty fall in the dirt. You can see white in the top left corner of the picture. You can also see i broke my clutch handle. Time for a new assembly and some bark-buster type things.

krylon2.jpg

Again miscellaneous scratches. All the scratches that showed through to the white came from wihtin the first couple days. The paint bottle says it takes 7 days to fully harden and i've found that to be true. All the scratches after 7 days never made it down to the plastic. You can see them as scuff marks in this picture:

krylon3.jpg

Rear fender doesnt take much beating and is totally fine.

krylon4.jpg

Here you can see the rear fender a bit scuffed on the side. The left hand sidepanels have a few scuffmarks on em but have survived falls admirably.

krylon5.jpg

All in all this paint has done fantastic. Before I put the bike away for the winter I'm going to do another few coats and let it cure all winter. It should be fairly indestructable afterwards.

The finish is great, as shiney or shinier than the original plastic. I think the bike looks much better now. All I need is a black clarke 3.9 tank and then I'll paint/replace the rad shrouds.

Basically if you are thinking of painting your plastics with this paint, I can definatly say i recommend it.

thats good to hear its holding up well. for the bark busters, ive got a set of moose guards on my bike, they were 38bucks, fit wasnt perfect cause they are universal but they work like a champ. ofcourse i havent dropped the bike since theyve been on but keeps the tree limbs off my front brake, big plus.

1. Krylon Fusion plastic paint - is that the stuff you can buy off the shelf at Walmart?

2. How did you apply it - just a spray can or with a spray gun/air compressor or what?

I think the results look great. :cry:

1. Krylon Fusion plastic paint - is that the stuff you can buy off the shelf at Walmart?

2. How did you apply it - just a spray can or with a spray gun/air compressor or what?

I think the results look great. :cry:

1. Yes you can buy it at walmart. I bought it at canadian tire.

2. (you're going to love this) You just spray it on. Wait 30 seconds, apply next coat. Repeat untill desired thickness is achieved. You dont need to (actually you cant) prime it because it has some kind of plastic solvent in it so the paint bonds with the top layer of plastic. You also dont sand the plastic. Just spray on.

You can handle the plastic in 15 minutes.

No problem, yes MUCH cheaper. It took a can and a half for all my plastics minus the rad shrouds. I did about 10 coats.

Has anyone tried this on a plastic tank yet? I am very curious how well it stood up to the way gas seems to seep through the plastic and discolor the tank or remove stickers. I am especially interested in spot application, such as spraying on a design stencil style in leui of stickers.

My tank is metal, and i probly wouldnt try it on a plastic tank personally.

I used the Krylon flat black for mine as I didn't like the bike too shiney.

I can't believe how well it has worked.

I sanded my plastic with 600 wet paper first and it seemed to work really well. Several very light coats works best and spray in a warm area, I did mine outside in the sun.

That looks good. I think I'm gonna go with black Acerbis plastic and then paint my blue tank black and use the Krylon on the headlight number plate and stock rear fender since the Acerbis doesn't fit the S model without trimming.

Thanks for the update! I noticed in your pics that your swing arm has the same damage mine has from the kick stand. Do yourself a favor...if it is still rubbing while riding either bend the stand out or grind the little gusset at the bottom of the stand back a little. The previous owner of my bike let it go and I have a very nasty gouge in the top half of my arm.....though I think it is still very strong. I ended up filling the gouge with JB weld just so it wouldn't look so bad (especially during an inspection :cry:)

Jerry

[@#$%&*!] there is too. No idea how i missed that last time i washed the bike. (Thats usually my damage inspection time)

Thanks for pointing that out. It's just a scratch right now, can probably sand/buff most of it out.

I will be grinding the kickstand today, and maybe bending it a bit.

No problem, glad you caught it while it was just a scratch. The previous owner of my bike didn't catch it and I didn't even see it until I had it home for 2 or 3 days. Like I said, mine's pretty nasty at the top but I think the swingarm is so over-built to start with that it will be fine.

I gotta go get some black Krylon today :cry:

Jerry

Hmmm this is pretty strange but..

The back of the kickstand...i cant even push it to contact the swingarm. Well i can when i push very hard.

But when i can get it to contact the swingarm, it doesnt happen where the scratch is.

Not sure what to do, i'll grind the back of it flat anyways, but still pretty weird.

Hmmm this is pretty strange but..

The back of the kickstand...i cant even push it to contact the swingarm. Well i can when i push very hard.

But when i can get it to contact the swingarm, it doesnt happen where the scratch is.

Not sure what to do, i'll grind the back of it flat anyways, but still pretty weird.

Maybe from your boot when putting the kick stand down?? :cry:

Mike -

Get on the bike and cycle the suspension up and down, it will become obvious that the kickstand is causing the wear. I know I looked at it the first time and couldn't figure it out, then I cycled the suspension and sure enough....kickstand. Don't move the kickstand to see if it is hitting the swingarm....move the swingarm to see if it is hitting the kickstand. Your scratch is in the same spot as my gash.

Jerry