Sign in to follow this  

Low cost diet for my S?

My blue baby has been feeling kinda bloated lately :cry: so I'm looking for cheap :cry: suggestions to help her lose weight. Not lipo suction or anything extreme like that. She just needs to slim down a little so she'll be a little more fun to ride :cry:.

I see by your signature you have a very nice list of add ons :cry:

What have you taken off already? i presume the easy stuff such as passenger pegs, footrest rubbers etc.

If you're still running the stock exhaust (probably not with all the mods), that will shave a few pounds.

Does anyone know the weight savings by going to a plastic tank?

Dendrz mentioned removing the passenger pegs - good for about 1.5-2 pounds?

I took off the easy stuff (peg inserts, chain guard, drive sprocket cover, etc) but not the passenger foot rests. My wife does ride with me occasionally and she just can't get the hang of holding her feet up :cry:. I'm still running the stock exhaust, haven't made up my mind on what to switch to. And I still have the steel tank. Figure that and the exhaust will shave off quite a bit but I was wondering what else can come off.

My friend and I both have DRs and have been discussing the weight issue. He weighed the metal tank and said it weighs 6 pounds. The plastic one has to weigh something. Say it weighs 3 pounds then you save 3 pounds. Not a big savings.

Take a look around the headlight. There are a lot of heavy metal brackets holding the light, speedo, reflectors and turn signals. Maybe making some replacements with aluminum might save some wt. The handlebars might be a pound or 2 heavier than Protapers.

I am interested in any ideas too.

The helmet lock and mounting bracket. The chain guard mounting brackets. Reflectors. Replace factory break light and turn signals. Seat strap. The 24 3/16" holes in the first baffel, and the 16 3/16" holes in the second baffel, had to remove a couple of Oz's :cry: :cry:.

I don't know if you save a lot of weight with the plastic tank, but most of the weight in the metal one is in the locking cap which is also high up, it sure feels better with the plastic tank, the metal is too fragile anyway.

The passenger footrests are easy to put back on if you need too and then remove for the big solo runs, I got the Beauchemins bracket for the exhaust mount.

Any weight that is high up is beneficicial to lose, the passenger pegs, the helmet lock, replacing stock tank, replace the trip computer with a lighweight one such as the Trailtech, replacing the headlight with an aftermarket etc.

The latter stuff costs money but it keeps the stock stuff unbroken for when you trade and the aftermarket stuff resells easily too.

I haven't seen one so far either.

Most any old car type gas cap will fit though, the old replacement gas cap off my 79 Econoline fits, not sure if its vented and oh yes it looks like crap :cry:

I replaced the whole tank with a plastic, much more dirt friendly.

The Trailtech and UFO stuff is on my Christmas list (the one where I buy the things for myself, not my wife's, don't want to wind up with books like last year). Guess it's time to buy some aluminum stock, break out the grinder and get to work!