Sign in to follow this  

mushy front brake, need help

i noticed my front brakes seem muchy like they have air in the line. i dont know how i could have got air in the line because i never had the brake system apart. anyway is there a certain way you need to bleed the brakes with the hondas, my owners manual(the one that came with the bike when i bought it)said to check the honda service manual or your honda dealer. i hope i not going to run into brake problems like i had with my yzf, they were always soft and mushy.

no hondas brakes are excellent. first off bleed your brakes. And i know mine was mushy too because my pads were wearing. check those too. Also the disc guard is somewhat bad it can cause it to overheat because no air gets too it. Take that off. Also the stock fluid is crappy put new stuff in when u bleed them. Another little tip is put a zip tie on your front brake leveer and squeeze it in. It will take the air out. Hondas brakes are top notch and you shouldnt have problems with it. I have had 5 bikes and all the brakes were perfect. Adios

Mine are soft too. I bought new pads and went to replace them and they were still ok. Why would they need to be bled if there is not a problem of air getting in or a leak? Just wondering. thanks

I had the same problem, new fluid makes a big difference. I also put aftermarket brake lines on mine, it doesnt give you better brakes but it prevents them from swelling and getting mushy. Also, once your pads get about half worn, replace them, it will make a big difference.

sometimes just clipping something while riding will be enough to get a little air in the system.

Here's a trick to get air out quickly -

Just get a screwdriver or anything similar and pry the caliper body toward the rotor. It will move enough to force fluid back up into the master cylinder. Then just pump the brake lever until the system gets firm. Works like a charm and is a quick way to bleed air while on the trail.

thanks guys for all of your advice. i can't immagine the pads being worn than much yet concidering i have only had the bike since july. is it possible that i got the fluid hot enough to boil it, that would cause air to get into the system right? i just remember all the problems i had with my yzf's brakes being mushy all the time, i don't want to go through that again. what kind of fluid do you guys recommend using, any specific brand of dot4?

contamination of the pads

- go get replacement OEM pads from Honda.... (no one else)

OEM brake pads are the best

thanks guys for all of your advice. i can't immagine the pads being worn than much yet concidering i have only had the bike since july. is it possible that i got the fluid hot enough to boil it, that would cause air to get into the system right? i just remember all the problems i had with my yzf's brakes being mushy all the time, i don't want to go through that again. what kind of fluid do you guys recommend using, any specific brand of dot4?

make sure you put fresh fluid in often, i just bled my brakes and my fluid was almost black. dirty fluid will make your brake mushy, it isnt always air bubbles.

i looked at my fluid through the little window on my master cylinder and it is very dark. also, my front pads are worn more than i though, they are close to being worn half way. this could be what is wrong.

About 5 rides after getting our 04 crf 250 the front brake became mushy. We race quite a bit and charge hard into corners so we don't need the mush. We were in a race where it bacame so bad that we had to slow down because the front brake became useless. I bled the brake using the bleeder and back bled it with the pads and we thought it was fixed. It got mushy again the next race. Since we hadn't used fresh brake fluid, we bled it again with a new bottle of high temp. Motorex.

Same thing the next race. Talk about frustration. I inspected the bleeder and noticed a small amount leaking. Took the bike to a dealer and they were kind enough to replace the entire bottom of the front brake system, free of charge. They bled it with their special tools and said we would have a problem. Actually, wrapped teflon tape around the new bleeder and made sure the top resevoir was completely full to the point of a little overflow. The brake was better but still mushy. Bled the brake again and kept back bleeding it until it really stiffened, using Bel Ray . This time it lasted a lot longer but the mush has returned. I know from experience that some front brakes are really tough to bleed, especially on some of the older KTM's. Since we are very hard on the front brake, we replaced the front brake line with a braided stainless steel one and used Honda's brake fluid (new bottle). Bled the hell out of it (kept going back and bleeding again and again over a two day period) and what a difference. Just spent a night at Atco, NJ and the next day at Englishtown, NJ (District 6 tracks) and the brake was awesome. I know of some other people with crf's who bleed them every couple of races and others who don't seem to have a problem.I guess it depends on how hard you are on the front brakes. I have also heard that some of the aftermarket brake pads are a lot better (DP).