Sign in to follow this  

Cockpit Video

Uh, big oops. What's that, like an 18 million dollar mistake? Probably more...

Bad day at work, I'd say! :cry:

Wow, umm...looks like he neaded some more altitude to perform the manuever.

Hes lucky. He ejected literally 1 second before impact. Amazing. I think hes probably in the unemployment line now. :cry:

Hes lucky. He ejected literally 1 second before impact. Amazing. I think hes probably in the unemployment line now

Actually he works in the Pentagon now. :cry: :cry:

Its the training. He knew exactly what he had to do, and he steered the plane away from the crowd and stayed focused. Afterwards he was mad. He slammed his g-suit down. :cry:

Its the training. He knew exactly what he had to do, and he steered the plane away from the crowd and stayed focused. Afterwards he was mad. He slammed his g-suit down. :cry:

The training...I bet his [@#$%&*!] pucker factor was a 10. Mask on ,shield down,and no audio hides a little.

Also, I thought that since the "Thunder Chickens" flew the F-16 and that the seat in a Falcon is set at about a 45 degree angle to help the pilot take G's that the "Chickens" did not wear g suits but,I may be wrong, they are the Air Force. Fact: (the Blue Angles do not wear them and they fly the Hornet with a seat at about 90 degrees).

As far as steering away from the crowd.(How did he "steer" away from the crowd inverted and no rudder action.) He was above the air field the whole time doing a "split S" and just not enough space between him and the earth. I guess it was a good thing he was not the flight leader and have the rest of the demostration team following his lead or they all would have ended up black spots in the earth like they have done before. But then again..."Chair Force" has a lot of money, they will buy another 20 million dollar plus jet...........go figure, now he is in the Pentagon, not sure what to say about that.... If what would have been a "handlers" fault they would be in jail and/or discharged.

Just my two cents and I have been known to "stir the [@#$%&*!] pot"...no offense to anyone :cry:

Call me silly, but I'm gonna guess you wear your name on the back of your pants and tell all your friends to call you "Goose" or something like that... :cry:

Call me silly, but I'm gonna guess you wear your name on the back of your pants and tell all your friends to call you "Goose" or something like that... :cry:

You've lost that loving feeling....lol.

Once again, I just like to stir the pot and also think the Air Force wastes enough money. But hey, accidents can happen to anyone.

And why yes..I do know a little..not much though... :cry:

In response to "Skrub" boy, he seems to know what he is talking about but in reality he is only telling half the tale.

It's true that the Navy's Blue Angels do not wear g suits, but the reason they don't is not because they are more "man" than the Air Force but because the F-18 has the control stick between the pilot's legs. They rest their hands on their legs. The way a g-suit works is by inflating and deflating air bags on the legs to keep blood flow from pooling up in them thus making you pass out. Well when the bladder inflates it can move the hand of the pilot causing the stick to move. With passes as close as 36 inches apart, they can't afford to have the stick move at all. The Thunderbirds fly F-16's which have the flight stick on the side of the cockpit which allows them to wear g-suits with out interference. An F-18 is designed only to handle 7.5 g's while a F-16 can handle 9+ g's.

The Blue Angels lost a pilot in 2000 because of not wearing a g-suit. The pilot was performing a manuever and the g's became to much for him to handle and he got tunnel vision and crashed into the forest. They are currently looking into getting a next-gen g-suit for the Angels.

As far as him saying he didn't steer away from the crowd, if you look at the video you can see he did turn the aircraft. The original path is to go right back down the runway and turn over the crowd. Yes, the crash was pilot error, because he zeroed his altimeter wrong and came up 50 feet short. He knew he screwed up as he was coming back down. He tried to accelerate out of it. He was a fairly new TBird pilot and mistakes happen.

He got sent to the pentagon, but that isn't a promotion for a pilot. He will NEVER fly again. That is worse than prison to a fighter pilot.

And yes the Air Force has more money than the other branches because we are the main fighting force in the modern military. We are responsible for more than just bombing buildings and people. We are the only way the army travels to foreign locations. By dropping precision weapons we eliminate the hazard of sending in ground troops to take over strategic positions. We also provide relief in third world countries through food drops and first aid supplies.

The Air Force needs more money than the other branches.

Now don't get me wrong, we need the navy as well. Not the same we did in the cold war but to patrol waters for terrorists. The navy uses it's airplanes now more than anything else it has. They use the F-14's and F-18's as bombers with the help of the Marine corp. I think all parts of the military are of equal importance in their own way.I have family in all the branches of service. We are all brothers in arms and I will stand by any one of them on any day, any where. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I hope he jumped out in time. :cry:

that was pretty freaky, i would pee my pants if i was that guy. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dear Mr Viper,

I was not attacking you as an individual so the “boy” comment was an asinine one. I may not be an “old” man but at 27 years old that hardly classifies as a “boy”…..

I was not talking about what the aircraft can handle. They will both pull more G’s than that. Pilot’s can use a method called the “hook” method to tighten their abdomen muscles to keep the blood from leaving the brain or “pooling” in their legs….go figure

The seat in the F 16 IS designed to allow the pilot to handle more “G’s” and the “stick” is off to the side unlike the Hornet’s SO what. That just tells me the Blues do more with less…for what ever the reason, stick movement or not.

As for the Blues loosing a bird, all branches have had accidents, it will happen no matter what. The one in 2000 you bring up, the Blues lost one on approach to an airfield in GA. Pilot error was to blame; the pilot was flying with speculated broke ribs…in “loose formation” after practice on his way to land. The Thunder Chicken’s altimeter was a little more than 50 feet off, try a thousand or two.

And for going to the Pentagon being worse than prison, have you been an inmate in a prison? Go ask your fellow Chair Force buddies that were going up on charges on maintenance malpractice. One committed suicide, the other went to jail, only to be released later…you want the whole story e mail me.

The money issue is a joke. Chair Force does have a larger budget for many other reasons other than what you speak about. ALL branches of service drop “smart” bombs. You said, “The Air Force has more money than the other branches because we are the main fighting force in the modern military”. Were did you pull that from? That is a joke. All branches have their own duties. Last I checked, the main fighting force on land, air, or water is not the Chair Force. Yes they are involved, but not the main force. Get your act together Joe Hanson before you open you “suck”.

I could go one but I have work to do and I'm sure folks come on here about bikes not this trash talking,so, give me a shout if you feel violated. I can give you the full "tale" as you call it, anytime. I came on here not to offend anyone just to speak “my” facts. You called me “boy” and that was personal.

“And that is the rest of the story” :cry:

As far as the "boy" thing goes, that was not a personal stab sir. Nor were my comments a stab against the Navy in anyway shape or form.

And it was you decided to refer to it as the "Chair Force" so that WAS a personal attack against me and all the airmen I serve with. If that is how you view them I am surely sorry for you. I never demeaned any other branches in my comments so I don't know where you got the idea I said "you suck". You have obviously never been in the Air Force. Tell that to the airmen who died in Saudia Arabia when they got off work and went to bed and their dorm blew up. Ask any soldier on the ground in Iraq right now and they will tell you who the angels on their shoulders are. My cousin is their right now in the Army.

I know about the facts you stated regarding the accident with the Angels. Yes he did have broken ribs and was unable to properly "hook". If he had been wearing a g-suit it could have prevented his accident. The navy already stated that.

I wont get into the whole debate about which jets are better or can do more because it is asinine. I don't know what you did in the service but I work on jets currently. I am highly qualified to speak on the subject. And yes one 18 yr old from my base got brought up on failing to do maintnance properly causing damage. He got kicked out luckily and didn't have to go to jail. He failed to follow orders and that is what happens.

About the Air Force being the main fighting force in modern times, that came straight from the mouths of the Joint Chief's of Staff. You can look it up in the transcript archives if you like. That isn't meant to say that the other branches are not important. The Gulf War was the perfect example. The Air Campaign was the reason we defeated them so quickly, and without a great loss of life. That was told by General Schwarzkoff, who was in charge of the war.

As for the reference to "prison", my grandfather and great uncle were both fighter pilot's in vietnam. When they had to give up flying, that is what they said. "I would rather be in prison than not flying up there anymore. The freedom you feel being among the clouds is the greatest feeling a man could ever know." So when you start talking about the "Chair Force" and personal attacks you think about all the pilots who died for their country and their families who would be ashamed and hurt to hear you say those words. I am proud to be serving in the US Military. Not just proud to be in the Air Force. We all work together in the defense of the country.

I know people come here to hear about Thumpers. I just felt I had to share what I know to be true. I have no ill feelings toward anyone, but before you go and get on a crusade about not getting personal, look into yourself before you accuse.

Thanks all and sorry if you guys get upset about me writing about this. Good luck at the races and keep on thumpin'! :cry: :cry: :cry: