Sign in to follow this  

Got rid of the YZ for a...

...Lightly used KX500 that will be doing new duty as the woods weapon. This thing has beens itting awhile...it runs like crap..but still does good wheelies...yanking the carb apart tommorow as right now it is running insanely rich. Amazingly yet again the gorgeous state of wyoming saw fit to issue me a license plate and a title for this beast...this should be illegal. Ordered 15/44 gearing..should help with the topend a bit.

I did the kx500 years ago, the bike is fun however if you do alot of woods riding that big bore babe does dend to get hot. 😢

uhmm....Wheres Wyoming? 😢

Have fun with the thumper!

A KX 500 is anything but a woods weapon. 😢

After 27 years of riding off road and countless dirt bike I have come to the conclution that-

The tighter the woods + more power = less handling.

Do the math.

😢

After 27 years of riding off road and countless dirt bike I have come to the conclution that-

Do the math.

😢

It'll be fine for woods riding..there are plenty of people who do it..it is not like you have to floor the throttle everywhere, it makes more low end grunt than any 4 stroke I have ever owned.

Congratulations! The KX500 is a special motorcycle. I love mine!!!

I love riding my bike in the woods.

However, I use way shorter gearing than you are talking about: 13/50 for me.

Why on earth do you use gearing that short..if I had that gearing on my bike it would be able to take off in 4th gear and top out at 75 mph in 5th..hahaha

DAMM!!, if I could licence that thing in California I'd drive over there and pick it up!!!. A street legal open class 2 stroke!!!!!. The KX,s were good bikes and although I prefer a CR500, the thought of a open class 2 stroke that is street legal, makes me sport wood!!. 😢

DAMM!!, if I could licence that thing in California I'd drive over there and pick it up!!!. A street legal open class 2 stroke!!!!!. The KX,s were good bikes and although I prefer a CR500, the thought of a open class 2 stroke that is street legal, makes me sport wood!!. 😢

It had been done, I have seen them for sell at cycletrader.com

I'd gear it tall and put a big old FWW on there.

I've seen guys ride stock CR500's and KX500's on real nasty single track that guys on thumpers were just stalling out all day.

Think of it as a training tool, it will force you to become a better rider. 😢

Hmm, maybe I need one?

I want the Service Honda though, need to find one real cheap since no one likes 2-smokes any more.

Dont know about the KX, but i do remember a near death experience on a CR500 when i was younger.... When things turn bad on a ride like that, they get real ugly real quick. Still got a scar on my chin that reminds me of that damn thing everytime i shave.

Hey OHV rider..how doy ou like that gnarly pipe on your KX250..I just ordered the same one for mine..notice any power gains after you rejetted for it...?

Why on earth do you use gearing that short..

Because the output ratio on the CR500 is tall enough that I'd burn up the clutch every 3 months if I didn't use a 13 in front. The KX very likely has a different (shorter) ratio coming out of the transmission.

I assumed the transmission ratios would be similar for both bikes, but your mildly insightfull reply leads me to believe those sprockets wouldn't work for you.

It was just some feedback to consider.

I meant it as more a joking type answer, with 14/50 my bike is only good for around 80 mph, so perhaps my internal gearing might be shorter. I wasn't trying to belittle your setup or anything, sorry if it came off that way 😢

Those service hondas are freakin sweet, just not sure I would fork over 8400 bucks for one when I can still find new in crate KX500s for 4300 bucks..I don't care for jumping a whole lot, just want the power and simpkicity of a two stroke 😢

Do the math.

😢

It'll be fine for woods riding..there are plenty of people who do it..it is not like you have to floor the throttle everywhere, it makes more low end grunt than any 4 stroke I have ever owned.

I rode a KX500 once in tight woods... never again. Too much for me! 😢