Sign in to follow this  

Changing plastics... help!

I've got a general question about changing plastics... I just got my new front fender, and realized there are no holes in it! Ok, no problem, I can drill holes... but then I noticed on the old (stock) fender, there are metal 'grommits' is maybe the right word, metal rings around the outside of the holes of the stock fender. I assume these are to give it strength.

My question is, am I supposed to pop out these grommits and replace them in the new fender? :cry: Or doesn't the new fender need them?

Thanks, I know its a silly question but I figured I'd better ask before I screwed things up...

:cry:

Pop them out and use them in your new fender :cry:

Get back in your Garage :cry:

I don't have POWER in my garage! :cry: :cry: I'm doing it all by flashlight... figured I'd come inside to drill the holes! :cry:

who's plastics did you get?

I got the Polysport Factory Replica plastics from TT. I'm VERY pleased with how it looks... I got my TT stickers on my brand new fender, and new numbers... :cry: The metal inserts were easy to remove and place, thanks for the feedback, guys! :cry:

I'm a little worried I may have re-threaded one of the bolts in my lower triple clamp, though... one of the rear ones, it was so strange, went in fine 'till the half way point then got REAL tough. Looked crooked. So I tried for 45 minutes to 'find' the threads, but it seemed to like where it was going. :cry: I did get it snug, & used locktight, hopefully I won't have a problem when I change the plastics again....

Try to use those gummets or your fender will look like this.

<font color="navy">Her plastic will turn yellow?!? :cry:

:cry: :cry: :cry: Wow, that'd be a trick!! :cry:

I'm a little worried I may have re-threaded one of the bolts in my lower triple clamp, though... one of the rear ones, it was so strange, went in fine 'till the half way point then got REAL tough. Looked crooked. So I tried for 45 minutes to 'find' the threads, but it seemed to like where it was going. :cry: I did get it snug, & used locktight, hopefully I won't have a problem when I change the plastics again....

Here's a tip to avoid crossthreading with any kind of fastener. Set it in the hole and turn it in the reverse direction (usually counter-clockwise). You will hear a faint click and/or feel the fastener drop slightly into the hole. This seats the threads. You can now tighten to the proper torque.

Here's a tip to avoid crossthreading with any kind of fastener. Set it in the hole and turn it in the reverse direction (usually counter-clockwise). You will hear a faint click and/or feel the fastener drop slightly into the hole. This seats the threads. You can now tighten to the proper torque.

Ah-HAH! :cry: Good tip, thanks! :cry: