Sign in to follow this  

Changing grips on a '01 DRZ400E......WTF??!?!?!

In the last 24 hours, I've installed a complete Yoshi setup. pulled the snorkel, installed a Twin Air filter setup, put new graphics on, and a few other things....all without a hitch. I go to change grips and have learned that the throttle grip is part of the throttle tube?? Is this the case or am I seeing things. What are the options? I've already changed the other grip and cut this one to hell! Im one grip from a sweet looking bike! :cry:

Yes it is molded on the throttle tube,, It can be cut off, wire brushed off, or other wise removed,,, But it is a pain no matter what methiod you use. Do not thik you can just oder a new one from the dealer.. it wil come with a brand new grip also molded on :cry:

Yes it is molded on the throttle tube,, It can be cut off, wire brushed off, or other wise removed,,, But it is a pain no matter what methiod you use. Do not thik you can just oder a new one from the dealer.. it wil come with a brand new grip also molded on :cry:

OMG, that is a joke! Will another throttle setup work (YZ etc.)? I can't be the only man is the world to want to change grips! I adore this bike, but Suzuki gets a big fat :cry: for this one!

I feel your pain.........I ran into the same thing on my 04. What I thought would take 10 minutes to install new grips turned into a complete nightmare. The easiest thing to do is cut the grip into four pieces with a razor knife then peel back each piece as you carve it with the knife. Once the grip is all off I used 80 grit sand paper to remove the plastic ridges that are left on the grip. It cleaned right up with the sand paper. I put my grip on and you can't even tell there were ever ridges under there. :cry:

I have to say in some respects that suzuki did a good job putting thier grips on. I have a couple other bikes that the grips had no glue of any type holding them on.

It's not that hard bud :cry:

15 minutes with a razor blade and it will be good to go. Or you can buy an aftermarket assy. for about $15 :cry: :cry: :cry:

yup, been there done that :cry: :cry: Perseverence my friend it does come off :cry:

Done deal! Wow, what a pain that was. All my life I've had bikes that require two minutes to change grips. A razor and a little gas was all it took. Oh well, the bike looks and runs stellar and that's all that matters! :cry:

I too found this out the hard way - crazy design. I almost cut my finger off with a box cutter through leather gloves! I bought a motion pro tube and saved the stock one for a spare - after I shaved and ground all the old grip off - PITA :cry: