Sign in to follow this  

NEW TO FORUM: WR250f----- Fill me in.

Hey guys im new to the forum, and dirt bikes in general. i've been riding quads (atvs) since i was 7 (im 15 now) and while i wouldn't call myslef an expert per say, im pretty good at it. i hadn't thought avout dirt bikes much until my friend recently got me into it. now onto the questions:

How is the wr250f for a begginer? pretty much my entire experiance on 2 wheels is about 2 or 3 combined hours of seat time on a honda 100cc. i got used to that thing pretty fast. Hows is it at handling, reliability, comfort, speed/power, braking, weight, hills and any other things worth noting? how is the suspension for things like ruts, roots, dips, rocks and lite jumps? to harsh possibly? and what are the differences in the year models and years should be avoided if any? in case you have to know im 15, 6' tall, and 170ish pounds. plz help, thanx in advance. :cry:

I will fill you in on something called a the search button. Use it. Ask whatever question you have and you will find it using the search feature.

Switching to 2 wheels...Is always a good decision :cry: That is one less idiot we have widening my singletrack :cry:

On top of that, for your size and previous riding experience a WR/YZ/250f will suit you just fine...

All your other questions are best handled by doing a search - you'll get an overall feel rather than just a Yup/Nope answer

It is absolutly wonderful at all of that! '01 & '02's are basically the same. They have the big tank that gets in the way and no auto decompression or E start but YZ seats and tanks are available and an auto decompression cam can be installed. The '03 to '05's have E start and a better seat & tank. Each newer year has had better suspension settings and the '05 will have 48mm forks.(46mm '01 to '04) You can't go wrong with any one of them! Welcome to our site. Yes the search feature will turn up a lot of information but it also minimizes the amount of posts we get to read. So if you want to ask a question, go ahead and ask. :cry:

My previous post didn't come off in the right context. What I was getting at was the fact that by using the search feature, you would not have to wait a couple days to get answers. You just search and your answers are there, in like 10 seconds. By all means, ask any and all the questions you want, it just might take a few days to get some answers. :cry:

Now what I said about coming over to two wheels stands true... :cry:

My previous post didn't come off in the right context. What I was getting at was the fact that by using the search feature, you would not have to wait a couple days to get answers. You just search and your answers are there, in like 10 seconds. By all means, ask any and all the questions you want, it just might take a few days to get some answers. :cry:

Now what I said about coming over to two wheels stands true... :cry:

thanx for restating your first post bandit, i noticed it and was like wth. yeah i know about the search button, i usually post a thread about all my questions then do some searching so i can follow up on them with whatever info people post at will. i was kinda expecting the "use-the-search-button-you-newb" replies, buts its aight. :cry:

as for switching from 4 to 2, its not really that i jsut figured it would be cool to try 2 wheels. In atving i have somewhat moved to the utility side of the spectrum. I figured i would get a sport quad after a utility, but then i thought why do that? dirt bikes are faster and lighter and it would be somthing new. but truely, nothin beats 4x4 yet. im also trying to break into sleds and maybe downhill moutnain biking........ driving comes last lol.

On top of that, for your size and previous riding experience a WR/YZ/250f will suit you just fine...

All your other questions are best handled by doing a search - you'll get an overall feel rather than just a Yup/Nope answer

okay thats cool, i had talk to some people i know and they said it was really powerful for a 1st time bike. but i took into consideration that they were all 5'5 120lb people. im not that small. thanx for the input

Thanx that was the info i was pretty much looking for. one question tho; are all the years detuned for safety or are only some years? i have only heard alittle of this. also is it only for american bikes, or bikes sold in california or what? i'll do a search on it too, but if you have the time to answer plz do.

Your quad will start collecting dust if you go to two wheels. Might as well sell it.

lol, we'll see. depends on how well you guys can inform me and answer my questions. :cry:

The one thing I have noticed about the 4 vs. 2 wheels thing.

The 2 wheel bunnies are always a lot better looking and dont need help getting up into the truck. :cry:

I bought the WR250F for my son when he turned 13. I had to go down a tooth in the front but that's it. The electric start made it less of a hassle for him as well. Would highly recommend it for you.

okay thats cool. i would prob consider gear changes, since im big on low and mid range but top end is usually somthing only tapped rarly if at all. now im really curious about the detuning on this thing. is that still going on, or were all years detuned? and was that just the US models to meet the Cali regulations? thanx

nice. then maybe i'll buy mine north. then i wont have to cross it over the border and pay tax :cry:. unless the detuneing is good since im a begginer. if so then i'd get it in NEw Hampshire.