Sign in to follow this  

Woods setup for RM85 and lightweight son

I am trying to figure out the best suspension setup for my son for woods racing. He weights about 80 lb. without gear. I feel he could have the best bike control with the suspension set up very soft, but I'm not sure. Any advice on where to set the sag for this size bike. Any practical advice would be helpful. Whether in the woods or on a track, I have never gotten the knack for suspension setup.

I'd send it to a local suspension shop, or if there are none, ship it to a shop like MX-Tech etc..

You need to get the right springs for proper static and rider sag, and you want to keep the bike in balance. Also you probably want different vavling for off-road than the stock MX valving it comes with.

Cheers,

Set the race sag to 75-80mm. The free sag should be 10-20mm. Free sag determins if you need a softer or stiffer spring. I'd try to go alittle softer on the compresion clicker before I revaled it. Those 85 can be a handful in the woods you might try to put more fly wheel weight in it and try different gearing. I had a CR85 expert i raced in mid-south Hare scrammbles we went down 1 tooth on the front so I could keep it on pipe easyer in tight woods but that might be alittle much for your bike because hit has more low-end than the hondas. Theres a mid-south hare scrammbles race this sunday in New Hope, AL you might try goin if you want to start racein there web site is www.msws.org.