Sign in to follow this  

XL80 upgrades?

I have an '85 XL80S that my wife rides off-road. Its basically an old twin shock XR80. Anyone know of intake/carb/exhaust performance parts? I think suspension upgrades are probably impossible. I ride it to work occasionally, and am looking to get some more "pep".

Thanks for your help.

Psycho

you can get a carb from a XR100 to put on it. maybe a complete XR100 motor.

Aftermarket cams for the XR/XL?80?100 are all the same infact a lot of motor parts can be shared between the XR/XL80 motors.

I wish I could find one of those XL80's around here so I can ride it on the street.

Anyone know what jets fit the stock Honda Carb? If I open up intake and exhaust, I'll need to rejet. Since it's a Honda carb, I'm not sure which brand jets will fit it.

Also, are there any pipes that fit the old twin-shock XR/XLs?

Thanks

Psycho

I got one too! took a couple of years to find a decent one that still had the lights and stuff. check it out:

http://www.geocities.com/apexmotosport/85xl80s.htm

the XR100 engine is a bolt in and you get a 5th gear with it. I may do that oneday but Im leaning more towards dual-sporting an XR100. Honda actually made an XRL80R for their home market (Pro-Link) thats what Im planning to replicate.

Starmoto,

Nice looking XL80! Mine is also in mint condition. Bought it a few years ago for my wife from a kid in Kansas for $700. Right now I have Kenda K760's on it, which have a relatively tall knobby. It really slows the little bike down. I can only get about 35 MPH out of it. I am hoping to coax just a bit more HP from the motor and run slightly taller gearing, now that my wife isn't riding it much. Do you know if the pro-link from an XR would bolt up to this frame, or are the frame changes pretty significant? Also, have you done any re-jetting? If so, what brand jets did you use?

Thanks

Keith

hey bro, the pro-link definately wont interchange, that frame is way different. I havnt done any mods to mine, it still has the original tires too. If I remember right it will run almost 45mph. I would like it to go faster but since its not pro-link I havnt done anything to it. an XR engine with the 5sp would be my first step if I was going to do anything. I didnt re-jet but I do run 100octane w/2.7% oxy (the good stuff) I probably should re-jet but Ive been spending my spare time on the XR80s. I got the XL80 and that started the whole "mini" craze for me. I really forgot how much fun the little bikes were. my last mini was my first bike. the XL does very well on the go-cart tracks as a mini-motard but once your off-road its definately a vintage bike with those dual shocks.

I think I'll just leave it mostly original. it is 20 years old now.

I found another roller w/out engine so my plan is to cut the steering head of that (VIN) and weld it on a XR80R so I can tag it for the street

heres the XLR80R

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.honda.co.jp/news/1987/2870731.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dxlr80r%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

a better pic here:

http://ateliermusee.web.infoseek.co.jp/html/04-machine/photo/bike/xlr80r-01.jpg

pretty cool, wish we got them in the US!

oh I forgot to mention to you. you could put an XR80 camshaft in the XL to increase power some.

That's a cool looking little bike. Thanks for the inputs. I think for now, I'll just keep it as stock looking as possible, maybe open up the intake side a bit.

Keith

if either of you guys might be interested, i have a 2000 model xr100 frame and swingarm with shock and linkage i will sell pretty cheap.

yeah the XL100 engine will swap. I cant remember if they are 4 or 5 speed though. the seller states its the same as an XR100 but thats a big negatory! only in resemblance is it the same.