Sign in to follow this  

KLR clutch trouble

My clutch cable broke the other day. I replaced it today, but for some reason when I pull the clutch in, it won't let out. I can pull it out manually, and it will connect, but it won't do it on its own. Any suggestions?

thanks

Brian

Make sure your cable is routed correctly with no sharp bends or binding when you turn your bars and lube your cable with a good cable lube such as Maxim Chain/Cable wax. You can have binding if your cable is not lubed! If this is not the problem someone else will have to chime in.

Hey thanks for the post I just went a lubed my clutch cable and it works great now. Hopefully its your problem and not your clutch basket.

I checked that already, theres no problem with the cable. I greased it up before I put it on, and there are no kinks. I'm guessing this means I'm going to have to take the bike in for someone else to check out for me.

I was working on re-routing the clutch cable to installed an enduro computer. Where the clutch cable connects to a lever/arm at the case; I grabbed it with pliers to disengage the clutch so I could disconnect the cable easily and the lever when to far and locked disengaged. I probably shouldn't have done this but I force it back into place. It clicked and went back to working normal. I thought for sure I was looking at throwing money at it but got lucky. I hope it holds up.

wldrdr

I figured it all out. I feel kinda stupid because it was something so simple. When I put the had guard back on after reconnecting the cable, I tightened up the bolts too much, which is part of the clutch grip. Works fine now, thanks all.

Brian