How I secure my kick stand.

I have a 04 DRZs. I Dont ride very hard, but was concerned about my motor dieing if the K stand bounced down a little. I didn't want to disable the auto kill as a friend of mine broke bones when he forgot to put his K stand up.(on the street)

I noticed that my friend's KTM 450 came with a heavy duty "rubber band" that hook's onto the K stand and prevents it from lowering. So I went to a dealer who sold KTM's an bought a "kick stand rubber band" (they knew what I meant when I asked) It was under $1.00

I then drilled a hole in my left pasanger foot peg mount the same diamitor, filed off the burr's, spryed the rubber with wd 40 and pulled it though.

Then grounded off both ends of a nail and made a hook, Mine look's like a very compressed "G" as I didn't want it to spin. I mounted the hook as far down the K stand as I could with a hose clamp.(I know this is way to crude for you experts but you get the idea ?)

End resalts: With modaratly light pressure I can push my K stand down about an 1/2 inch...the "kill" dosn't kick in.

after that it be come's much harder to pull the K stand down.

If you land hard enough to put the K sand down after doing this mod it will be the least of your worries ?

I think its excessive, disabling the kick stand switch should be the way to go. All it does is make you lazy and somehow forget to put the kickstand up when you ride.

Plus what happens if the switch corrodes and gets stuck shorter 1000 miles from nowhere and its getting dark. I find its best to disable the 'save me from myself' type things on stuff, but thats just me. ?

Lazy....Hmmmm.........

Im thinking more in line of having a routine. But rougtine's can be dirupted.

My post has nothing to do with if you forget to put yourK stand up,but rather what you can do to make sure it does not come down. ?

Plus what happens if the switch corrodes and gets stuck shorter 1000 miles from nowhere and its getting dark. ?

That's the kinda thing that would happen to me ?. I don't forget to put on my helmet before a ride or to zip my pants after a whizz and I don't take off with the kickstand down. Disable it. Or completely remove the kickstand and save some weight ?.

Yes...One of the first things to do. Disconnect it under the seat and solder a short jumper between the two wires.

After that you can also disconnect the clutch lever switch which the connection is in underneath the front number plate in the wiring package. That one you just disconnect it...No jumper required.

Actually a rubber band is also not a bad idea in addition to bypassing the switch not because it would keep it from triggering the switch but that it would keep the kickstand from actually going down should the spring come off. I've thought about this before as I like to jump and if that kickstand spring were to come off and you were jumping you would be in serious hurt when you landed with that kickstand down. I'm gonna see if I can come up with something to secure mine as well. ?

I personally cut and shorted the wires. (soldered together)

Don't know how your buddy could hurt himself via kickstand... ?

But I would advise you to loop the clutch safety switch and kickstand starter switch asap? there is nothing more frustrating than troubleshooting your bike on the trail for an hour, only to realize that one of your safety switches has been cracked all along. ? :cry: ???

The E didn't come with a kickstand switch and I bought a RM clutch lever first week I had the bike and added the bark busters.

I saw a street bike just the other day drive off from a gas station with the kickstand down and make a right hand turn into traffic and gave the gas. Wonder what happened?

Poop Does HaPPEN! But I think rubber bands look cheesey. How about an extra spring inside a spring or set it up so it automaticaly lifts when you straighten the bike.

I saw a street bike just the other day drive off from a gas station with the kickstand down and make a right hand turn into traffic and gave the gas. Wonder what happened?

Seeing as he turned right...I would say nothing happened? ? :cry: ? :cry: ?

Nothing? My stand is on the left side.

Disconnect it under the seat and solder a short jumper between the two wires.

Okay, that sounds good. Now for my second stupid question: What is a jumper? I know nothing about wires and solderring. Thanks for bearing with me! ?

A jumper is just a wire or any sort of connector to short/connect two contacts together.

Simple way: .. .follow the two wires from the switch up to the connector... disconnect switch and connector, cut the switch side connector's wires, and twist those two wires together, plug back into the connector and cover the wires with electrical tape. From then on, the kickstand switch is forever closed/up.

The reason I cut the wires from the switch side and retained the connector was just so I simply didn't lose it if I ever wanted to solder them back together to make the switch operable again.