Sign in to follow this  

front wheel not centred on forks

hi,

jus found out tat my front wheel is not centred on the forks, its off by abt 6mm, can i cut off 6mm from the right spacer & put 6mm of washers on the left side of the wheel shaft?

is it important anyway to the handling or suspension or whatever?

i dont tink my forks are bent& my rim is true?

😢

Might want to switch the spacers prior to cutting either of them. I've had that happen...accidently got them backwards and mounted the wheel. It'll go on, but it's not a pretty sight.

you cannot just cut the spacer... the disk will no longer sit in the caliper properly.

as well as the speedo drive assembly has its own built in spacer,

6mm can be corrected fairly easily, it almost sounds like it was measured on the side where the disk bolts stick out and when the fellow relaced or trued the wheel , he may have measured the disk rather that the heads of the bolts past the disk, this accounts for at least 4-5mm

stu

I had the same thing happen after my wheel was relaced. It drove me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong. Took it to the shop that laced my wheel and they fessed up to lacing the wheel wrong.Good shop.Ryan

there is only the spacer on the side where the brake disc is, the speedo side got no spacer,

its an old bike, but the wheel looks quite new, maybe like the others said, they laced it on the 'wrong side'

what can i do now?

will it affect anything?

😢

AH, that's right...you said front wheel...sorry for the miscomunication.

Yeah, you'll probably have to relace it (or have it relaced.) You'll notice that the spokes are slightly longer on one side than the other...to make up for the slight off center stance of the hub/rotor.

Wheel lacing is time consuming, but certainly can be done at home. I'd try and find someone with the same bike and take some measurements of their spokes to make sure you lace it properly when you are putting it back together.

i had a thorough look at the front wheel,

the hub has one side for the brake disc which is bigger

than the other side for the speedo& collar,

how can it be laced wrongly?,

i measured it near the rim edge of the right rim side

to the side of the right fork & the rim edge of the left

side to the left fork using a steel tape,

will handleing be affected in any way?

😢

If this is a factory wheel that's never been taken apart, then all my theories are useless.

Does the wheel wobble when you spin it? If so, then i might just need to be trued back into center/round. If you've never adjusted spokes or trued a wheel, I'd reccomend taking it to the shop and pay the $20 to get it back to true.

However, if it's been worked on before (spokes replaced/aftermarket hub or rim)...then it's possible it was laced with the longer spokes on the odometer side instead of being on the rotor side. The spokes usually have a miniscule length difference...and it would be easy to get them on wrong.

so, that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

thank you kind sir for ur replies,

the wheel does not wobble & is quite new as compared to the rear whose spokes are abit rusty,

the wheel is quite true, only is not centred,

the bike runs ok but i taut could be better if the wheel is centred is it not?

😢