Sign in to follow this  

need chain advice

I know this has been discussed before but I didn't pay enough attenion. I need a new chain and sprockets, my questions are who makes the best after market chains, what type, and what the deal with the spacer? thanks in advance

Dave

I've had good luck with both the DID 520 ERT and the DID 520 O-ring. I don't kow anything about the "spacer."

IMO the DID x-ring is the best chain out there. Some people will say the non o-ring chains are better because they are less restrictive, but the o-ring chains last longer. Right now replacing a chain every few months is out of the question, so I'd rather loose a little performance (not that I can notice the difference anyway) so that I can race every weekend. The spacer is used because some people have clearance issues. I had a very small spot (1-MM) on my case wear off because the chain rubbed. I just used a the fast way shim for the 450 on mine. You can also get shims from an auto parts store.

are you using the did 520 x-ring chain or the did atv 520 x-ring chain? i though i heard and or read other places that people perfered the atv one a bit better because it was stronger. any thoughts on this?

doug

I use the regular x-ring not the atv one. It's heavier and I think even wider than the standard one.

The regular x-ring is more than strong enough, I got over 2 years out of one on my 450.

I put a DID 520ERT on my bike the first week I got it because the ERT is all I have ever used. I had one on my KX also. They hold up well and look great. However, 3 months later, due to the design of the Honda frame the chain has just enough side to side slop (even when adjusted correctly) to sometimes slap against the inside of the aluminum frame rail of the bike, which chews the frame up a bit. :cry:

I will be going to an x-ring the next time around so that this does not happen! :cry: