Sign in to follow this  

'99YZF420 to '05 YZF250

Hey, good news, have a buyer lined up for my clean '99. Anyone go from an open class 4 stroke to a 250F?

I'm, a 175 lb. trim in shape 5'9" vet 40+ northeast rider, 75% track, mostly small & tight / 25% woods.

Is this a better bike for me? Hoping I won't miss the power of the 420. Opinions please.

I did, and I'm not looking back! I actually danced around a lot, big bore 4-stroke, big bore 2-stroke, 125 2-stroke, and now 250 4-stroke. I ride about 90% track, 10% trails.

I personally think I'm not only faster on my lil' 250F, but it's made me a better rider. I have zero regrets, and I'm not going back to a big bore. The lightness and ease of riding is fantastic. The bike is the most forgiving I've ever ridden, I think I've earned many crashes that never materialized.

I almost always ride with dudes on 250 2-strokes and one on a CRF450. If I'm not in front of them, I'm right there with them, and usually not as worn out (especially in the woods where my 250F appears to really shine).

On the faster tracks it's a bit more challenging to hang with the big bores, I'll admit, but I still don't miss it. I have found the perfect bike and until something better comes along, I'm staying on a 250 4-stroke. I can't recommend this bike enough, it's oustanding!

We almost match - east coast, mostly track, similar height but heavier: I too sold my 1999 YZ400 for a 2001 YZ250F.

You will love it. Keep in mind the newer 250Fs are much lighter than even mine is, and they have really fine tuned the motor. I don't want for power at all, and I in fact verified that I am consistently faster on this than my 400, which I had a chance to ride along with my 250F at my favorite track. There's a lot to be said for lighter weight and smoother/reduced power, especially in the east coast trails.

yes and I don't regret it.

I've said this a few times before but the main issue is you can ride harder for longer on this bike. To me, saddletime is what I'm trying to achieve.

If your game is momemtum maintenence i.e. dive in deeper and gas earlier then this is the bike for you. If your game is brakeslide into the turn, straighten out and pull the trigger this bike will not be to your liking.