Sign in to follow this  

Rooster Rad guards fitment (2005 250R)

I was wondering if anybody else has the rooster guards installed on their 2005. Everything seems to fit well enough until I try and put the radiator shrouds back on... the lowest shroud bolt just is not going to go on. Is there a trick that I don't know about? Perhaps I need to cut the radiator shroud somehow? The guards themselves look awesome and are certainly tough, but unfortunately there were no instructions included. Thanks to anybody who can help.

Opp

just e-mail kelly at rooster, he should be able to talk you through it or send out some directions!

Yeah I remember the lower bolt being a tricky fit. I worried about stripping the threads with putting the bolt in wrong. I spent much time trimming the plastic down there to make it fit right.

What helped me was screwing the bolt in from the FRONT of the rad guards and then I could see where my alignment was off as the bolt came through the plastic shroud.

Hope this makes sense and helps out....

My 2004 X radiator's (as in both) were badly bent from crashing in the woods around logs. I bent them back into shape enough that I was able to install my rooster guards. I don't have the bottom hole of the shroud screwed in on either side and it works just fine. These guards are BOMBER! They have great front and side impact protection! :cry: The directions are hidden under the guards in the package.

Just installed rooster guards on my '04 CRF250R - had to trim down the support rib on the underside of both shrouds to get the bottom holes to line back up. You'll have to shave quite a bit off, but it WILL fit nicely again once you do.

Yeah I was actually considering not putting that bottom bolt back in. I managed to get it back in on the right side, but for some reason the left isnt even close. I dont know if the radiator got a little bent or what, but I messed with it for an hour and a half last night and I just can't get it to go.

That bolt can be a pain. Try bending everything as close to ligning up as possible, then start that as your first bolt. Everything shifts and lines up easier if yo udo that first then work your way up with the other bolts leaving the 2 smaller ones that go into the tank for last.

All,

Kelly here from Rooster. There should have been a packet in the packaging that had the instructions, stickers and a brochure. The instructions tell you to trim away the rib on the back of the shroud at the bottom near the shroud mounting bolt. This will make it easier to line that bolt up. The other way to do it is thread a longer bolt (m6x35) through from the back side facing forward and put a washer and nut on the front side that mounts the shroud. This makes it really easy as you do not have to hold the shroud in place while trying to start the bolt. We may just provide this as the mounting solution in the future as it seems to be working out well in our testing.

Thanks,

Kelly Anson

General Manager

Rooster Performance

Off-Road Motorcycle Accessories

Main line – 503-649-3485

Fax – 503-649-1888

1880 SW Merlo Dr

Beaverton OR 97006

A division of…

Triax Metal Products

Beaverton Oregon