Sign in to follow this  

Unicycles....

Anyone know how to ride a unicycle? Got any tips?

I'm looking for a mental/physical challenge. Something to do after work and that will take "some time" to master. I'm gonna go get one today - a cheapy $100 one w/24" wheel. Figure it'll take about three weeks of practice everyday to be able to ride it. Heard they are good source of exercise. :cry:

I've always wondered if they would be good cross training for performing better wheelies on a MC. Let us know how it goes. You could start a trend.

Yes, join a local unicycle club. They give lessons, and if it's like the one around here they make it easy. Start with your back against a wall, and with one pedal just before TDC so the uni stays against the wall. Then, as you step forward onto it, one person walks on either side of you, then just one person on one side, then nobody.

But find a group, it'll be fun. BTDT.

I used to Ride one as a kid all over the place.The only thing it will give is good balance.You get on the seat with one foot on one petal.which ever feels most comfortable to start.The way you start You have to pedal backwards a little bit to get it under you.So set the pedal your standing on up towards you a little so whenyoustep on it the unicycle comes up under you.Then hangon to something and try to pedal around something hanging on tel you figure it out.Let me tell they can leave one hell of a knot on your head trying.So be careful.GOOD LUCK.They are lots of fun if you can figure it out. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've been riding one since I was 14 (now 45). I have talked a few people into these, and all could wobble pretty well after a few hours. Once you go 20 feet, you're in. Awesome training tool.

Go to an empty parking lot, use the bedside of a pickup to kind of guide yourself along. When you reach the tail end of the truck, take off! You don't really crash when things go wrong, just grab the front of the seat and bail. Hold the front of the saddle to stabilize the unicycle and yourself. Don't tense your upper body, but try to keep it quiet. Visualize sitting IN the seat, not on it, and use your lower body to do the subtle weight shifts that give balance. Flailing your arms causes too much weight shifting up high and it gets ugly quick.

I taught myself the hard way when I was 7 years old. Here is how I teach people today (39 yrs old). Start on a sidewalk next to a building (or vehicle like vetboys suggested)so you can support yourself with one hand out to the side. While holding the unicycle in front of you and sitting on the seat put one pedal pointing down about 45 degress from level and to the rear. I put the left pedal in the back since I'm right handed/footed. Put one foot on that pedal and push down to get the unicyle to roll under you while placing the other foot on the other pedal. Sounds complicated but only takes a couple times to get it. Go back and forth along the wall or vehicle getting used to moving your hips and making pedal inuts to stay upright. Alternate holding yourself up with the left and right hand. Within a few hours you should be riding the thing. Once you can go straight go here Unicycling.org to find ways to keep yourself challenged. Oh yeah, buy a unicycle with the plastic guards at the front and rear of the seat. The material looks the same as the stuff (teflon I think) in the chainguard bolted to the swingarm of my DRZ. Keeps the seat from getting ripped when you fall. Good Luck

Thanks for the tips guys. :cry: I got a book from the library and a unicycle from the bike store, put on my Asterisk knee braces and practiced after work for a while.....

WOW :cry: this is definitely good exercise! At least for a newbie.... Got a nice welt on my right calf from the bike/pedal shooting out from under me :cry:. I practiced getting on and off the bike in a controlled fashion (per the book) and then tried balancing in one place while holding onto the truck's tailgate like you guys suggested.

I put a block of wood (2 X 4) behind the tire, and then get on the bike with the right pedal at about 8 o'clock. This really helps. Once I'm on, pedal forward so the cranks are horizontal to the ground and try to hold it there. Does this sound right? Before I learned to use the block of wood and get the pedal in the correct location, that unicycle was shooting all over the place in the garage. :cry:

Should I be practicing riding the unicycle in a straight line OR balancing in one place with "no hands"? :cry:

Practice riding in a straight line first, using less and less suport from your hand against the truck or wall. Once you can ride in a straight line without support then try turns. Once you can ride down the driveway, turn around and come back then try to stay in one place using support. Harder to stay in on spot than ride forward, just like hoppping on a bicycle versus riding it.

Gotcha - Thank You :cry:

I'll stick to riding in a straight line beside a wall. Did that today on my lunch break. At first I could only go about 5 feet, but after an hour I could go as far a twenty feet (along the wall). :cry: