Sign in to follow this  

What's the difference between a Magneto & Generator

Yo, I got a '04 model year DRZ400-S. I need to know what the difference is between a magneto electrical system-based DRZ (they are on the "E" models, right?) and a generator-based system on the "S" models (mine). Can I set up an accessory plug like what's in my car to charge my cell phone batteries, GPS, etc. Thanks for the help guys! :cry:

Thanks. But back to the Q, what exactly is the difference between a generator and a magneto, or are they the same thing?

Ok,, 1st,, your S, dose not have a different system then the E.... It is the same system.

2nd, a magneto is an electrical generator, but a generator is not necessarily a magneto.

The idea behind a magneto is simple. It is basically an electrical generator that has been tuned to create a periodic high-voltage pulse rather than continuous current.

So it is both the ignition and the generator the provide the energy for the ignition.. but it does not provide power for any other use.

Both the E and S have a generator, which provides charging voltage, and power to the coil for ignition use.

Hope that helps :cry:

If you do not have one yet, I suggest a battery tender for the S..

What does a battery tender do, keep it charged? Is so, how? and how do you set one up?

What does a battery tender do, keep it charged? Is so, how? and how do you set one up?

It is a small battery charger (trickle charger) The clock on the bike uses some juice when parked along with the fact that motorcycle batteries tend to die quicker than cars since a lot of bikes are ridden off and on rather than daily. This little charger will keep in up to par when not in use while not over charging it like some other chargers tend to do.

Jerry

Jerry, do you have one? If so, what kind would you recommend? Thanks dude!

As others have said,, it is just a simple, low amp battery charger,, The good to better ones have a float/trickle mode built in.. and are best for the batter to maintain charge. I use the one made by Yousa but there are many others out there also.