Sign in to follow this  

oil supplies dwindling?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5945678/

Im in school right now and I just did a current event on the oil industry and I came up with this link. This concerns me because if theres no more oil, theres no more gas to put in my RM :cry: What do you guys think of the amount of oil left? Still think theres enough or is it at a dangerous low? :cry:

The fact is that nobody knows how much oil is on/in Earth. There's alot of oil in South America, Canada and Alaska. New oil deposits are found all the time, Shell just found some off of Brunei. Some scientists don't buy the theory that oil is Dinosaur juice, and that more oil could be found on other planets in our solar system or in asteroid belts. We could be motoing on the moon in 200 years! Braap!

For sure we are out of easily pumped oil. Now we will have to start looking for alternatives. While current technology might limit intergalactic oil sources--in 100,000 years we might be able to access oil from other solar systems...till then prices will only rise.

In 5 years Hybrids will be all over the place. Including motorcycles. This will carry us over to next generation fuel cell technology.

There is an unlimited supply of hydrogen. Liquid hydrogen use will be just as safe as gasoline use is now. All it takes is a major change in the infrastructure, which is the main holdup to converting over to this energy source. Keep in mind that the exhaust from burning hydrogen is steam, and the fuel is renewable/reusable!! We need to stop giving our money to the middle east!! :cry:

The fact is that nobody knows how much oil is on/in Earth.

Wrong, the enviro lefties know exactly how much oil is in ANWAR in northeastern Alaska. They say it's a 6 month supply.

Don't ask how they know, they never say. They just know.

That's why oil companies want to invest all the money to drill for oil there, for just a 6 month suppy.

Go figure.

Meanwhile, we rely on OPEC and pay the price.

Thank you lefties! :cry:

There is around 20-25 years of oil left for us at the current rate. Since we have China and India up and coming this number will surely shrink dramatically. The reason we don't have fuel cells and more efficient vehicles is because of Bush, he couldn't make it more obvious that he is for the oil companies. But it gets better, gas prices are now low so people are in a good voting mood as soon as the election is over prices will skyrocket. :cry: :cry:

25 years!!! Where did you get that info from?

I saw a thing on FOX news about a month ago on this very subject, and even though China is quickly catching up to the USA for petroleum consumption, they still estimate the supply taking us to the 22nd century. :cry:

Get your facts right. :cry:

I paid $2.35 for 89 octane yesterday, here in the inflated land of Kalifornistan.

I paid $2.35 for 89 octane yesterday, here in the inflated land of Kalifornistan.

dam, you just got raped dude. over here its like 1.80 a gallon i think, id love to run name brand high octane gas in my bike, but $7.00 an hour is barely putting noname 87 in my pinger :cry: it'd be neat if someone could come up with something that replaces fossil fuels. like using something instead of gasoloine in a internal combustion engine. :cry:

It is true that there is an virtually unlimited amount of hydrogen, however in addition to the distribution infrastructure not being in place, it also requires a significant amount of energy to process hydrogen in a usable form for vehicles. Most of this energy comes from oil now, which counters the benefits of using hydrogen. The good news is there is plenty of research going on now.

I read several articles where oil wells believed to be dry began pumping again after years of inactivity. This was related to that theory that oil doesn't come from dinosaurs, but results from extremely high pressure found deep down below the earth's surface. The theory is that there is an extremely large amount of oil below the earth's surface, but it's too far down to get with current technology. Some old wells closer to the surface were running dry, and then for some unknown reason were replenished from the deeper reserves.

I think petroleum supplies will be fine in our lifetime. Our prices could get better if only China would slow down a bit.

I went to Athens in 1996 and was shocked to see how many people ride motorcycles there. I've never seen anything like it! The streets were crowded with all kinds of bikes. It seemed like that's a practical solution to traffic and high fuel prices. (wouldn't work so well in places that have to deal with winter though)

I just paid 2.39 a gallon for diesel.

And diesel is a by-product of gasoline production??? Go-figure

it'd be neat if someone could come up with something that replaces fossil fuels. like using something instead of gasoloine in a internal combustion engine

Yeah, like liquified Muslim Extremists, there's no shortage of them.

Seems like a win-win situation for us all.

Theres plenty of oil left in the world, the treehuggers just don't want us to drill for it.

The amount of oil found in ANWR is estimated at 3 times the amount of oil found in Prudhoe Bay (the oil field we built the alaska pipeline for) but the environazi's stopped us from drilling it.

Theres far more oil under the oceans than all the oil we've pumped to date we just have to develope the technology to drill it feasably (which is very close)

Theres enough oil to last the world for many generations, the treehuggers just want you to believe we're almost out so we'll flock to hybrid cars and other econoboxes. They've been putting out these rumors about oil shortages since the late 60s... and they aren't any more true today than they were 40 years ago.

Bottom line is...we WILL run out. The oil we've used over the last 100 years took millions of years to form. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Where is this unlimited supply of hydrogen?? Wouldnt the power companies jump on this?

Currently the only way to make hydrogen is by the electroysis of water, and the electricy comes from coal-fired power plants :cry:

There is an unlimited supply of hydrogen. Liquid hydrogen use will be just as safe as gasoline use is now. All it takes is a major change in the infrastructure, which is the main holdup to converting over to this energy source. Keep in mind that the exhaust from burning hydrogen is steam, and the fuel is renewable/reusable!! We need to stop giving our money to the middle east!! :cry:

Bottom line is...we WILL run out. The oil we've used over the last 100 years took millions of years to form. Once it's gone, it's gone.

Oh you're right there... No doubt about it.

but to pretend that we'll run out within the next 500 years is ludicrous. Its a scare tactic the environazis use to further their agenda.

Where is this unlimited supply of hydrogen?? Wouldnt the power companies jump on this?

Currently the only way to make hydrogen is by the electroysis of water, and the electricy comes from coal-fired power plants :cry:

Right. Hydrogen is no more "zero emissions" fuel than electricity is. We have to make the hydrogen (or electricity) somehow... and for now, that requires fossil fuels.

Your idea has one major flaw. Hydrogen is abundant but not readily available. It still requires energy to release/separate the hydrogen. That energy has to come from somewhere, more often than not from an oil/coal burning power plant. Truth be known, given our current setup, it creates significantly more pollution creating the energy to release the hydrogen than it would be created by just running a modern internal combustion engine. Just like supposed 'zero emmissions' electric vehicles actually contribute more towards air pollution than does a similar vehicle with a modern internal combustion engine.

All fuel is renewable and reusable. Do you think the ingredients actually leave? No they are still here on earth. It may take Mother Earth a bit of time to reassemble those ingredients, but they are not gone forever.