Sign in to follow this  

Brake light addition

I just bought an 04 DRZ400E and would like to add the minimum lighting to make it legal in Arizona. My understanding is that all it takes is a brake light, license plate light and a horn. Most of the kits I've seen come with turn signals and other items I don't want, any advice on a trick looking setup that can be bought without the extras?

Doug

DesertDoug

There are a couple of ways of doing it. Depends on how "Legal" you want or need to be.

There have been some posts about adding a resistor in series with the LED taillight and then having a brake light switch wired in that bypasses the resistor when the brake is applied.

The other method is to get a complete taillight assembly and put it in in place of the LED light.

I purchased my taillight and brake light switch from Fourstrokesonly.com, they have individual pieces to make up a dualsport kit.

Here is a picture of the taillight assembly.

Rear_View.jpg

Depends on how minimum you wanna do.

I use the stock E LED strip with a resistor and a pressure switch on the front brake.

I use some reinforced rubber material to make a crash friendly liscence plate hanger.

Now, I'm not saying this setup is technicaly street legal. But for running dual sports and enduros that have the occasional road section, it looks good enough to keep the Man off my back.