Sign in to follow this  

cr 500 vs. ktm 525

Wanted to know if a ktm525 can keep up with a cr500 in open spaces like fireroads and also some mx use? I understand the cr 500 is outdated in technology terms but is there any reason not to buy one? any opinions helpful

I own a kx500 and a ktm 525. I dont really see the power of a 525 ever being an issue as far as keeping up. Also depending on the model 525 the gearing will allow much higher speeds than any 5 speed mx tranny like on a cr500. Coming of a 500 2t the 525 was no disapointment.

I used to own a '95 cr500 and now have an '05 525exc. I'm pretty sure a cr500 is a lot faster through the first 3-4 gears but the 525exc would probably work past it on top end. Maybe an sx or mxc would be a better match for it from low speed take offs or a standing start. Sprocket choices can play a part here too. It's been a couple months since I've ridden a cr500 but I still regret selling mine. I think the only place you might notice that bikes "outdated" design is racing motocross in something like B class or better. If the bike is in good condition and you wouldn't have to dump much money into it, it would be a great buy for the type of riding you're talking about. Plus they're real easy to work on and parts are easy to get. They're kind of buzzy up around the handlebars but you can do things to reduce that.

I have had a '90 CR500 in the past and have ridden a 520EXC for a good ammount of time(not my bike), and the KTM can do everything the CR500 can do with alot less energy. The KTM is just a joy to ride, the CR is fun but uses way to much energy.