Sign in to follow this  

How do you feel about handguards?

I just ordered a set of Acerbis Rally Pro handguards for my XR250, along with a few other things. I told one of my riding buddies, and he said that was a really bad idea. He has a friend that had Barkbusters on his bike, and he broke both wrists going over the bars.

So my question is how does everyone feel about the protection afforded by wraparound handguards compared to the risk of getting tangled up in a crash? Or is this just one of those "helmets cause neck injuries" rumors?

well, they look kinda goofy but i can't tell you how many levers i've saved because of them.

knock on wood about the wrists...

They've saved the levers from breaking numerous times.

And saved my fingers from getting blanched by branches, thickets and thorns.

They work for me plenty! :cry:

YMMV

I've never had them cause any injuries, but I can't even begin to imagine how many busted fingers (not to mention levers) I would have suffered if I rode without handguards. I can see a scenario where you could get hung up in them and cause an injury, but I would rather risk the 1 in a 1000 type injury to prevent the 1 in a dozen everyday injury.

Where we ride its a must. Before they came out I broke my hand on a tree. I remember riding alone in the mountains and hit a tree with my hand. Tore it up pretty good. Ligaments, bones... Had to ride back pretty far in pain, one handed then load by bike etc.

I've tried the rally ones from Acerbis and I don't like them cause you CAN &%$#@! up your wrist. That hard plastic is bad the way it comes back towards your hands. There is zero give if you flip over the bars and your still hanging on. I only use Moose Gaurds with the softer plastic clam shell brush guards and set it up where it is level, not angling up.

You can see them in this pic. The brush gaurds will give

if you go over the bars... :cry: Trust me, I've tested them! :cry:

R-Torture%20making%20a%20turn%20in%20WRA.jpg

I feel this is the best set up.

L-Big%20Pig%20Dropping%20into%20White%20Rock%20Alley.jpg

They are worth thier weight in gold. The pro's are just as the others said in saving $ in repairs and fingers. The posibilty of going over the bars and hanging on to save it is minimal. Most of the time when a person is going over the bars he should know when it's unsaveable and have the sense to let go. I,ve gone over the bars at low speed and gaurds did not get in the way of me bailing off. I do see some people with their gaurds mounted to high and that can be dangerous. Another good point is that handguards do provide a little more strength to the bars. Have a couple friends that refuse to use them and they have gone days without a front brake and/or a stubby lever for a clutch. Use them you won't regret it.

I've heard the same thing about wrist injuries. When my son races MX he is not allowed to use wrap around guards (track rules). BUT when he's not racing that's what's on his bike. I use them on my DRZ too. I like my fingers just the way they are and I'm too cheap to buy new levers every time I hit the ground.

We use the handsavers you can get at the TT store. Not only did it stop me from buying new levers and keep from getting our fingers crunched from trees, they reduced the shock and vibrations in the renthalls considerably.

I just ordered a set of Acerbis Rally Pro handguards for my XR250, along with a few other things. I told one of my riding buddies, and he said that was a really bad idea. He has a friend that had Barkbusters on his bike, and he broke both wrists going over the bars.

if you do freestyle mx, or maybe even just pure mx racing, handguards are unnecessary, and potentially dangerous. if you do trailriding anywhere fun, they are absolutely necessary to prevent your fingers from being squished and your brake and clutch from being applied randomly and against your will. i personally leave my handguards on at the track too.

i don't think the danger is from going over the bars. anyone who's not a complete spaz would just let go. i think the danger is from landing hard and awkwardly from a huge jump and having your hands get driven downwards. as you can see from this pic, if you go over the bars in a trailride, your hands will probably go over the handguards with no problems. i think my hands still think they're holding onto the bars at this point.

overbarssmall.jpg

I would say its the only way to go if you ride in the tight twisties with trees. I went down and bent a set of pro-rallies, decieded I didn't need them for a while and went on a couple of rides. I happen to be 4th going down a brushed in trail and the brake lever got caught by the bushes, the front end locked and washed, went down hard and broke a collar bone. I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone at speed, but the only thing that was going though my mind was "where are my hand gaurds".... As for not using them, to each his own. If you ride the track all the time I can see that a simple roost deflector would work and you wouldn't have to worry about the broken wrist crap that evryone pushes...

<font color="navy">I'm not worried about bashing into lava rocks (like Torture), but do want to protect my hands from brush, roost, the ground if I lowside, the occasional tree (they're softer than rocks), etc. I run the regular Acerbis Rally Brush guards (without the metal support like the Rally Pros) and find they do a fine job keeping away the brush and protecting my levers while still having enough give to cushion the blow and not worry myself about breaking my wrists on them. I run them a little low (so I have plenty of time to let go in a bail-off situation) and loose so they can move if necessary. I've been very happy with them and they've held up better than I thought.

That said, I also do search and rescue/medial first response at Hungry Valley State Park (very busy OHV park in So Cal) and occasional track-side first response for first-aid. In over 14 years of doing this, I've only seen one person break his wrists from not letting go and getting caught on his handguards while flipping over the bars (compound fractures on BOTH forearms -- ouch!). On the other hand, I can't count the number people I've treated with broken hands/fingers/wrists who either had their hands crushed by something, or crashed due to not having guards. Get 'em and use 'em. Brand and style is personal preference, but I consider them as important as the rest of your safety gear...

If you ride in the woods they are a must. Just smash your fingers between the levers and the bars one time from hitting a tree and you will know why. :cry:

R-Torture%20making%20a%20turn%20in%20WRA.jpg

I feel this is the best set up.

L-Big%20Pig%20Dropping%20into%20White%20Rock%20Alley.jpg

WOW! :cry: Sweet pics!!!

Yeah, I've "tested" my hand guards plenty of times and I've never been sorry I have them. They look kind of goofy but they are worth it.

Hit a tree up in the Sequoia's a couple of weeks ago and if I didn't have the Pro Rally Acerbis bark busters my hand would have been shattered. I just bought them before going up there and I am soooooooo thankful I did. A must for trail riding.

If your 100% mx then probably not much use.

How good a rider is your friend?

IF you let go of the bars and your hands slipped down into the handguard loop, yes you would break your arms. The thought scares me a bit. So if you put on handguards, hold on.

I have Acerbis Pro Rally guards on my XR400. 5 years of crashing and I haven't broken a lever. Also, the wrap around handguards let the bike slide and not dig in the handlebars.

The only problem with teh Pro Rally is the aluminum bar gets bent up. You'll get use to straightening it out. Put locktite on the allen bolts for the small screws on the bar clamps. They come loose all the time.

>anyone who's not a complete spaz would just let go

Most racers I know, myself (just call me spaz) included, hold on to the bars 95% of the time in an effort to keep the bike running.

I'm not saying it's a good habit, just a habit.

Spaz

:cry:

Most racers I know, myself (just call me spaz) included, hold on to the bars 95% of the time in an effort to keep the bike running.

i hold on if i tip over sideways, but if i go otb, i could care less if the bike keeps running, i'm looking for a way to land on my feet and get the hell out of the way of the bike, so that *I* stay running.

heck, i probably hold on to the bars MORE than 95% of the time, more like 99.9%. except when i crash hard. then i let go.