Sign in to follow this  

Checked the valves, opinions please.

So last night I rechecked my valves after buying a set of gauges with more options.

The exhaust valves are both in spec (on the low, tight end), but are within spec.

The intake valves I have a bit of concern. Two of them are at .102 mm, the one closest to the timing chain is at .087 mm. Do I need to shim right away or will I be ok to ride 1 or 2 more times?

I take it that the valves will tend to stretch over time and this is what will cause the distance to shrink. Am I right?

BTW, I have had the bike since brand new 1.5 years and this is the first time I checked the valves.

Shane

You might want to go ask the Honda guys. We dont know how to adjust valves over here.

You might want to go ask the Honda guys. We dont know how to adjust valves over here.

:cry:

the halves tend to tulip over time. You'll know when you must change the shims because it will get hard to start. But since you're in there...

the halves tend to tulip over time. You'll know when you must change the shims because it will get hard to start. But since you're in there...

Well now I am out of there and all put back together, am I OK or do I need to get back into it

shane

I meant to spell it valves, not halves. :cry:

Heck I'd leave it. Most everyone complains of the bike getting hard to impossible to start when they get too tight. So it should be obvious when you have to do it.

The only wear of consequence that takes place in this little mechanical marvel is at the valve seat and the face of the valve, so they work their way upward into the head, reducing the clearances. The intakes commonly wear more than the exhausts do.

.05 mm is roughly .0025 of an inch, so that valve is about 1 thousandth too tight. It's rideable, but of course, no one could recommend that you run anything out of spec. I know mine's been run tight, both with and without my knowledge, and seems to be OK anyway.

If it's never been adjusted, it may have some odd shims in it. Service shims are available in .05mm increments only, but the factory has access to shims in increments of .01. This can make you crazy. For instance, if you measure clearance at .09, and you find a 186 installed, you have to choose between a 185, which would give .10, the tight side of spec, a 190, which would be .01 loose, but allow room for future wear, or leaving it alone. Don't get too caught up in all that. Remember that .01 is less than half a thousandth of an inch.

There' no way to know what's in it without a tear down, and you may have to wait for a special order on the part, so either plan to wait for it, of put it back together with what is has until the right one gets there.

And DON'T mix up the valve lifters. Put them back on the same valve they came from.

Good Luck :cry:

Ouch that was kinda harsh. You just stuck a red target on your ass :cry: and now all the honda guys are after you. But I guess the truth does hurt sometimes.