Sign in to follow this  

DRZ-S cutting out on jump -very odd

Last weekend, I went out playing on the new to me DRZ-Z and I ended up at Carnegie OHVRA. Headed straight over to the MX track and decided I would try that, even with the trailwings.

It was pretty fun, very slippery, but one thing really bothered me since I do not know the root cause...

There are not really any jumps that are big there, however on what would be considered the largest jump, the bike cutout on the face every time. I stopped after a total of 5 laps, as it is just too dangerous having the bike cutout on jump faces, even small ones.

Anyway, I am back on the main dirt road to leave when the bike dies completely. I switch to reserve and problem solved.

My concern is that the bogging on the jumps could not have been caused by a low fuel condition, as it occurred in the exact same place each lap, and only on that one jump.

After thinking about this for a few days, I have started to wonder if the side stand switch might not be the culprit. Any thoughts?

I am getting the FCR, (hopefully this weekend) so I am not interested in jetting the bike to eliminate the lean condition of the current stock carb...

Any thoughts?

Mike

Zip tie or tape the kickstand in the up position tightly, so it won't move. Then try the same jump again. I would bet it is the kickstand sensor. If that's the problem splice the wires to bypass the stupid thing.

I don't know if it is a jetting/fuel problem. What used to happen with me is that my heel (big feet) would press down on the kickstand switch when I would stand up...killing the bike. That was before I had the bar risers. Stand up, bike stalls, I try not to go over the handlebars!

Aha!

I had not thought about the heel hitting the stand.

On the jump, I think that it is probably the side stand, but your idea about the heels certainly addresses another issue that I had where I thought that I might have been accidentally hitting the rear brake...Stand up wheelies.

In third or fourth gear, I have to rev the bike and dump the clutch and at the same time, tug on the bars pretty strongly. Several times the bike seemed to have stumbled, with me ending up way up front on the bike.

Seems like these safety features on the bike are anything but safe! I broke both legs 4 years back on my CR250 when I ran out of gas on the face of a triple...I do not like when bikes die on me!

Thanks fellas for the good ideas.

-MW

I had the exact same problem on stand up wheelies and about killed myself. I couldn't figure out what the problem was until my buddy saw my heal hitting the side-stand. We pulled the seat off right then and there and fixed it with some tape and bubble gum.

My engine occasionally cut out temporally when I would ride up a deeply rutted steep hill. Because I would have to pick my line so carefully, the engine cutting out always made me loose control. I short-circuited the side stand “safety” switch. I have not experienced the problem since. Now if I could just straighten out my handlebars.

If you are going to ride your bike off road, I strongly suggest you remove this switch. Besides, it must weigh a couple of ounces.

Just clip the damn thing, solder the 2 wires together, tape it up and your problem will go away. Should be 1 of the first things ya do as it is absolutely very dangerous. It is another attempt of the government/manufacturers attempt at forcing supposed safety things down our throat, Hopefully someday we can decide by ourselves what is right for us to do/use...