Sign in to follow this  

Brake upgrade?

All of the sudden, I am riding my drz 100% street. I put the deathwings back on and the bike is surprisingly fun around town. Anyway, I want to upgrade my brakes. I like the motomaster front brake kit but I'm still using stock wheels. Will this fit with the stock 21" wheel or will it be too much brake? I will probably buy some 17" wheels but not right now. I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade the brakes now (bigger rotor?) or just wait until I can do the SM wheels too. Keep in mind this is all for street riding...no track time. Thanks :cry:

Bigger brakes are probably a must for alot of street riding. One thing to consider, if you buy 17's, and want to keep the easy swap available, you will need to set up both sets of wheels the same way. Motomaster has a caliper relocation bracket and a 260mm rotor that is larger than stock, yet smaller than the full 320mm SM style setups. I think that is the way I'll go in the future. For starters, you can get better pads and Stainless lines and see what improvements are to be had for about $100. Also, if you haven't yet, try the rear CRF master swap, it really firms up the rear brakes and is a direct swap. :cry:

OK...new question. Moto-Master makes a street kit which is a larger (320 mm) rotor and relocation brackets to re-use the stock caliper. Price is fairly reasonable. Is this the same rotor they sell in their SM Race Kit? It look the same to my eyes except for the lack of anodizing but I can't tell for sure. If it is the same then I can buy the street kit and have the option to upgrade later by simply buying their caliper. Anyone know if that's true?

Edit: OK, so it turns out the street rotor is 4mm thick while the race rotor is 5mm thick. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the race caliper won't work with the street rotor...

It may fit too loosely and you could warp the rotor. Personally unless you are racing or have 17" wheels the stock brake set-up with good pads and stainless line is more then that tiny(90/90-21 or 3.00) tire can take.

It may fit too loosely and you could warp the rotor.

I'm not following your logic :cry:

Personally unless you are racing or have 17" wheels the stock brake set-up with good pads and stainless line is more then that tiny(90/90-21 or 3.00) tire can take.

That may be true, I really don't know. I have new pads and ss brake lines on the way. The stock brakes are OK on the street, but I want more stopping power, not just improved feel. I suspect that an upgraded rotor with the stock caliper would be fine with the stock wheel, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "race" moto-master kit would overwhelm the stock wheel/tire. My intention with this post was to figure out if it made sense to buy the street rotor and use it with the stock wheel/tire and then in the future when I upgrade to 17's I could upgrade the brakes by just buying a caliper.

The question is if you will go to the dirt with a 320 rotor. It won't last long if you do! If in the future you see yourself going from a dirt set up to a street set up, then commonality is helpful. Just tonight I took my 17's off and made the switch back to dirt for a ride tomorrow, and without rushing, it took 12 minutes :cry:. That is what I want. If you won't do that then go with the 320 and in my opinion, the street setup will be plenty (if you don't go racing). As I mentioned above, a 260 set up on both sets of wheels means you don't have to relocate the caliper, and you have more braking ability. I THINK the 260 would survive most off roading as long as you stay away from the biggest of rocks :cry: Just my $.02

Edit: OK, so it turns out the street rotor is 4mm thick while the race rotor is 5mm thick. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the race caliper won't work with the street rotor...

Andrew...

The race caliper requires a different relocation bracket than the one that comes with the street kit as the caliper mounts different and has its own dimensions.

The bracket you would need with a MM race caliper is the SM201R. The caliper is pretty much a universal and used on almost all of the racing kits (I think there is more than one race caliper but the one the DRZ uses is pretty typical for most bikes).

By the time you buy a caliper and bracket you might as well have just bought the SM Race Kit. :cry:

The question is if you will go to the dirt with a 320 rotor. It won't last long if you do! If in the future you see yourself going from a dirt set up to a street set up, then commonality is helpful. Just tonight I took my 17's off and made the switch back to dirt for a ride tomorrow, and without rushing, it took 12 minutes :cry:. That is what I want. If you won't do that then go with the 320 and in my opinion, the street setup will be plenty (if you don't go racing). As I mentioned above, a 260 set up on both sets of wheels means you don't have to relocate the caliper, and you have more braking ability. I THINK the 260 would survive most off roading as long as you stay away from the biggest of rocks :cry: Just my $.02

I wouldn't run a 320mm rotor in the dirt. :cry:

I plan on figuring out what street setup will make me happy and then having a seperate dirt and street setup to make for quick swaps like you mentioned.

Andrew...

The race caliper requires a different relocation bracket than the one that comes with the street kit as the caliper mounts different and has its own dimensions.

Correct...different calipers require different brackets. I can machine a bracket myself at work. The brackets are pretty simple looking and I have a machine shop to use so that shouldn't be a deal breaker.

By the time you buy a caliper and bracket you might as well have just bought the SM Race Kit. :cry:

OK..here's my logic...tell me if I'm not making sense or screwed up somewhere...

These prices are from the TT store:

- Moto-master 4 piston caliper (45-2303) $107

- Moto-master complete race kit (45-1572) $585

- Moto-master street kit (45-1565) $269

So......assuming the caliper will work with the street rotor (and I don't know if that's the case or not yet!) The caliper, $107 (seems cheap to me?), plus the street kit, which is $269 comes to a grand total of $376. A total savings of $209, assuming I make the caliper adapter bracket and its free, which it will be for me. Now, for me the point is not just to save a few hundred bucks. The point is, if this swap is feasible, it would allow me to buy the 320 mm rotor and adapter, and then evaluate the performance. Who knows, maybe I'd be happy with that for street use. If not, then I could upgrade to the caliper in the future...

- Moto-master 4 piston caliper (45-2303) $107

TT does have some nice prices but that price looks a large bit off. :cry:

The retail price for a MM race 4 piston caliper is like $349.00

The relocation bracket would be more likely what was listed as $107. :cry:

Also just FYI... not that it really matters or anything but the MM race 320mm rotor has printed on the side "min=4.5mm" I believe they recommend changing it if it ever gets thiner than that spec? I have no clue why though? :cry:

Anyhoo if I were you I would just save up a bit more and get the whole enchilada at once and avoid the troubles of the rest. :cry: :cry: