Sign in to follow this  

Looking for more Power.

Hello All,

I just got done putting a 436 kit in my 2000 DRZ 400S. (other mods are 3x3 hole, Twin air filter, and drilled out exhaust) Although I am happy with the power increase I received from this change, my expectations for the displacement boost were a little higher then the results. I currently own a 2003 WR450 and comparing the 2 against each other, the WR comes out in front on “seat of the pants” power and acceleration.

Now granted, there are big differences between the 2. I know that. (Gearing, weight, and 13 extra cc) My point is that I would like to try to get my DR closer to what my WR feels like. So my question is what modification do I do next, and which is the biggest bang for the buck? I would love to do both of them at the same time, but my budget just doesn’t allow that.

FCR carb swap?

Aftermarket exhaust & Hot cams?

Looking for opinions.

You are running on a power level higher then mine already...but my very first mod was the exhaust. It should be one of the first performance mods anybody does. If you don't let it breath...it does not matter how much power building potential a motor has...it will not perform.

Look at it this way. If you are jogging along...can you breath better through a straw...or 1" pipe? Adding bigger lungs is not going to help if you still cannot get enough air in and out fast enough. You will have wasted lung/cylinder capacity.

If I had the money to do two of the three mentioned...it would be full exhaust system and the FCR. Do the Cams at your next winfall.

you want more power....

You should try this!

383_Specail.jpg

Also, I hear its an easy modificating... mounts to existing motor mounts :cry:

Probably got more money in polishing that thing then in the parts! :cry:

Is it a coffee table knick knack or a motor? :cry:

Glitz does not make power. :cry:

Show motors seldom run for crap. :cry:

...My point is that I would like to try to get my DR closer to what my WR feels like...

I'm guessing you have an electric starter. Get the "Kicker" converter and shed some pounds on the DRZ. Might make it feel a little more like a WR :cry:

Chopper

You did the displacement increase before doing the pipe and carb? The pipe and carb are your next mods. Having done both I would say the FCR39 made the biggest difference for my "S" but I already had the Yosh full stainless installed when I added the carb...

I just did a pipe (Yoshi competition complete), pulled the snorkel, and mine is approaching the hit of my 99 YZ400F. I haven't even jetted it yet either. I'm not sure whats next.. :cry:

you want more power....

You should try this!

383_Specail.jpg

Also, I hear its an easy modificating... mounts to existing motor mounts :cry:

Is that a Huyabusa engine? :cry: