WER steering dampener

The WER for the DRZ uses a rivet mount. I'm going to be buying this one in the next couple of months. The WER because the others like SCOTTS, GPR, RTT, ICS mount up at the bars and I don't want to have buy a whole bunch of new stuff to make it work not to mention I'd rather not have the thing on my bars. I corresponded with someone from the board about 2 months ago that put one on his DRZ and he liked it alot. He said you have to drill a hole for the rivet in the frame. Right now I'm just running a little bit of drag on my steering (poor man's fix) to cut down on the headshake at high speed. I only have headshake now in sand at over 60mph...By the time it get's to 70mph it's getting pretty exciting...That's what I'm getting the WER for...

A good friend of mine just installed one on his '05 "S". took him one evening to do it. Yes you must drill one hole for a rivet to go in the neck. The other hole is already there holding on the VIN plate. Not a big job but not a small one either. You also must trim the lower on the left side of the front plastic fairing so the damper rod can go through to the damper on the front. He encountered no problems with the install. He posted pics over at the DRZ400 yahoo site a couple of weeks ago under "Gregs photos" might be worth a check over there if you would like to see it. I don't have the site url handy right now I am at work.

Very Interesting. It does not sound too bad to install then. I wonder how far down one has to dis-assemble the front end? Any reports on performance, like does it work as well as it is suppose to work. Keep the feedback coming. ?

One of the nice things about the WER is that you will not smack your face on it in case of a crash. The "S" model does not have much room in the bar area so I would go with the WER. They all dampen about the same from what I have been told. I have never used one before on anything but one of my road bikes that I owned. ?

If your destined to whack the steering stabilizer with your face,, you still gona make contact, if it is not there,,, you'll just be tasting the bars and speedo instead.

Never under stood that argument.... just does not stand up as far as I can tell.

Bronco,

Isn't that what bar pads are for? The top mount units stick up higher. That will at least take out a couple of teeth if you hit it. Or maybe a couple of ribs. ?

Linco,,, in theory yes, I suppose that might be true.

My view, experience:

If you case it hard enough (or hit a non moving object,, ect ect) to propel you body forward, I do not think an extra 2 inches of clearance is going to save you anything. With the damper,, you hit it, without, you hit, what ever is available to hit...

If you use a pad on your cross bar or Top clamp if using fat bars,, that might help out a little.... but again,, if the mass is in movement to that direction, no matter what you hit,,it's gona hurt.

Most are wearing chest protection,, that should help no matter what you hit.

Most are wearing goggles and helmet, that should help no matter what you hit

Most running a damper are off road guys,, not MX guys landing 200ft triples. I guess I'm just slow,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I've never even come close to hitting my body on the bars/scotts/speedo/ect ect

So my theory is............. ya it’s possible that having the scotts damper is increasing the chance of a close encounter,,, but after looking at all the circumstances, situations, probabilities,, I’m not concerned.

Same line of reasoning that allows me to ride and race off road motorcycles and trucks even though I have a family to support and help care for. ?