Over the boot riding pants? Zip off leg pants?

Hey gang,

Looking for some over the boot riding pants. Cut my old MX style pants into shorts this summer, so need some riding pants asap. ?

Was hoping to get those fancy zip off leg pants like the Thor Squadron, but they're kinda spendy, so am thinking about the Shift Recon, maybe the Thor Static pants.

Here are the basic requirements:

Over the boot style.

Cargo pockets.

Solid color, or as mellow graphics as possible.

Zip off legs, if affordable.

Durable as hell and well made of course.

Not to spendy.

Anybody have anything to say about the Shift Recon or Thor Static pants? ?

Thanks!

Ed

ps, pics here:

Shift Recon

shipntrec04.jpg

Thor Static

thrpntstatic.jpg

I have some Recons and they're cool. I normally zip the legs off when I'm in the sand (sand dunes). They function fine and I like the pocket. They're pretty strong too.

Edit: I'd better clarify that I have the version (shift) just previous to that pictured. The pockets are on the sides more like regular pants - not a pouch-like pocket.

I have the shift pants. I like over the boot because I have skinny legs and have a hard time keeping sand out of my boots with regualar pants. I've have two pairs of Shift pants and they have worked great. I had to by a size larger than normal in order to get them long enough. I tried on No Fear and the legs are way too short. Oneal are pretty good too.

I'm looking for that style pants too. I get mud and water in my boots during the winter. Anyone used the Moose Monarch Pass ones? Theyre expensive, but I'll spend what it takes to keep me warm and dry. Do they work? (waterproof, etc). Also... I'm concerned about burning holes in them on my pipe. Does that happen with that style?

I have the shift and they were alright until i had one good wipe out sliding through the dirt. i expected them to hold up a little better. my LBZ are a lot stronger. about the melting on the pipe... yes they most definitely will if you don't have a pipe guard. you can guarantee that you'll be melting a pair or two. with the pipe guard on I haven't had any problems.

I have the 03 shift squadron in green. I like them, they

have 2 regular front pockets & no cargo pocket, looks like they

added the cargo for 04.

Mine have been holding up well to abuse, no melting, I have a shield.

I like the grey recon, a little more low key. All black would be even better.

squadronpants.jpg

I have the 03 shift squadron in green. I like them, they

added the cargo for 04.

squadronpants.jpg

I have the Shift Squadron in blue, no problems yet for me either. I have also had Black Recon's (last year), they were good too. ? :cry: ?

have the 03 shift squadron in green. I like them, they

added the cargo for 04.

I like my black squadrons a lot also. Very tough. They do get hot and sweaty (don't breath well), but that's true for most of the riding pants I've ever worn.

They WILL melt on you pretty quick. I've got a baseball-sized hole in mine from where I went down on a steep uphill and was struggling to get the bike upright, and touched my leg against the header pipe. Instant hole, along with the smell of burning plastic and flesh...

If you don't do something stupid like that, they should last a long long time.

Otherwise I really like over the boot pants..

Me too. I've tried both, and over-the-boot just looks cooler, IMO. They make me look like a younger, soaring free-styler, instead of what I am: an older, slower, "C" rider who can't jump for beans... ?

Same experience as Old Dude. 36" Static Thors equal the 32" size in their rain pants. I like the static pants. Probably a little hot for the Redding temperatures in the spring and summer. They do have some velcro in the hips for foam pads already sewed in at the waist. I had to sew a plastic snap and buckle with 1" nylon on the outside of the right leg to tighten the leg up to the boot. The exhaust pipe is a liability with over-the-boot pants.

Ok, I went with the Thor Static over the boot zip off pants. ? Ordered them one size up. Should get here sometime next week. I'll report back then.

Got a pretty decent price on them right here on TT too. ?

And ordered a carbon fiber pipe guard from the TT boys too, decent price there too. ? :cry: