Sign in to follow this  

ktm sx400??????????

Hi there, I am a c class hareandhound rider usually comming well at the back of the pack. 5 11 and 180 fully kitted. I ride a tm250enduro that i really enjoy riding, however i would like a bike that would not tire me out as much and would be easier to ride in the mud! What is the motocross ktm400 like as i can get a 01 bike for good money??

Will the maintanience be far greater and if so how?

Are they heavy?

Are they hard to start when hot??

Cheers as any info to get me to change to 4stroke is appreciated.

I don't know about a TM250, but I have an '02 400SX and I love it. It's light, starts like a breeze, and very easy to ride. I entered a hare scramble a year ago, hadn't ridden in one in years. It was real muddy, but I got 2nd in the "B" class. Couldn't have done it on my 250 2stroke.

Oh yea, maint. is a breeze. Change the oil and filters, check the valves once in a while, take care of it, you'll be fine.

I have an 02 SX... LOVE IT!!! Just put an electric start on it (just because I could)... Just change the oil, check the valves if it is hard to start, keep it full of gas and RIDE ON!!! Do not hesatate on a good deal... how much you looking at an 01 for? Just curious...

3000 and this bike looks mint! Plus its from a dealer. However it has been there for 6months or so and the ktm400s are really unpopular here in Ireland for some reason! Are they hard bikes to start when hot??? What are they like to ride in woods? Easy to stall compared to an enduro 2stroke? Cheers

For the same money i can get a 02 yzf250....are they good bikes in the woods compared to a 250 2stroke?

Does anybody in this forum have any experience with either a ktm400sx or a yamaha yz250f apposed to a 250 2stroke. Perhaps i should stay on a 2stroke.

• Like 1

KTM used to stand for Kick Till Monday.. but not anymore... as long as the valves are adjusted properly the bike is VERY easy to start when hot. $3000 sounds a bit high... I got my 02 for about 3300 from a dealer a few months ago, but if it is in good condition it is a decent deal. I went to the 400 from a 250 two stroke and will never go back to the 2smoke... the thumper has stolen my heart. I have ridden a 250F and it was fun... but you end up riding it like a two stoke with the clutch feathering through some tight turns... Through the woods my 400 kicks ass. I have not ridden it much through the woods, but the 400 just has that nice mild power... I put a 54 tooth sprocket on the rear and find that it has plenty of get up and go power in the tight stuff. If you are not prepared to do the valves every 20+ hours and to screw around with two oil filters, two oil screnes, and all the other little stuff required of a 4 stroke, stay on the 2 smoke. THe two stoke does have the advantage that it has 1/10th the moving parts of a thumper which equates to the fact that if you blow the motor up (which happens from time to time) you can fix it rather inexpensivly. It all comes down to how much you have the 4 stoke itch. There are plusses and minusses to both kinds of bikes, the four stoke is a lot heavier, but if you ask me, I would go with the KTM because it comes "finished" with all the little stuff that saves you from putting it on the bike (hydraulic clutch comes to mind...) Good luck!

I have a tm250 enduro so i am used to all those little luxuries! What is the power delivery like compared with the 2stroke? Are they easier to ride up big slippery hills than a 250?

The two stroke had explosive power. When the power band hits it hits hard. With the four stroke, you are always in the power band so explosive is not an issue. The four has smooth power delivery and a lot of torque. Remember that the four strokes have to be twice the size as a two stroke to make the same power as one... but you end up with more torque and the same horsepower... which equates to the engineers being able to design the bike to have smooth power. For riding uphill you cannot beat a four stroke... the torque will get you up the hill easier. You have to look at how much you currently have invested in your bike and what you can sell it for vs. what you will get with a different bike. I have changed bikes five times in the last year before I settled on the KTM... the result was I could have changed bike once and bought a new one for what it cost me to own several different bikes.

• Like 1

KTM SX400-- Any info on differences between 1999 KTM SX400, 2000,2001, 2002,2003,2004 ??? I'm looking at buying one but cannot find any info on differences between models. Any input on YZF400 Yam comparisions per year listed above to KTM??? Thanks for response.