Sign in to follow this  

drz to ktm

hello all just sold a 01 drz and picking an 01 ktm 400 exc up thursday, its just had a full service .how often would you recomend for changing oil and filters ect? also do piston rings need changing soon its done 3000 miles ? thx matt.

Matt, first of all, there are many people out here with way more experience than I have with the KTM's that will offer help, but as a general rule, I do the oil every 15 hours with valve adjustments at 30-45 hours. Will change the oil more frequently if I have been riding hard in the heat. Oil changes are cheap insurance for your engine. Not sure about the rings.

I just went from a DRZ to an EXC 450 and LOVE the difference. You're going to have way more fun on the KTM. It's a blast to ride!!!

This topic is sort of like religion and opinions vary accordingly. But my oil/filter change interval is about the same, roughly 15 hours. That is a LOT more miles than most others, but fine for my taste. Valves are probably more like 45-65 hours for me. Based on my experience, the 400 excs are very reliable. Only potential trouble spots are the cam gear/bearings and WP seals. All easy to fix if you have trouble.

R

thx for your help guyz .the bike hase done just under 3000 miles should i consider striping the engine and having it re done ??