Sign in to follow this  

open question

what do you think about the future of supermoto?? do you think it is worth a guys time to spend 2 to 3 grand on settting up a bike for serious racing? i mean ive raced for a long time and supermoto seems like a lot of fun and i guess that should be what its all about, but it just seems like there isnt a lot of interest out there. nashville didnt seem to have that many spectators. and as for south boston.....i dont want to talk about it!

All depends how serious you want to take it and how much you can affoard.

I plan to chuck evrything i have at it for next season (also my first season at sm after coming from mx) i want to have fun mainly but i really am quite a competitive person and i wouldn't be happy or having fun if i wasn't competitive....at least with a bike as well you can chuck money at it and you still have something to show for it. I bet you would only spend the money on other crap and not notice if you didn't spend it on your motard.

The sports growing all the time. We could do with a proper world series like motogp. It seems theres to many split off series going on right now.

Soon as Honda bring a bike out like a fully race ready out the crate 450 honda the others will follow i am sure this will make it blow up huge.

other than that you gotta rely on stuff like the X games.

just my opinion :cry:

Tell you what...

Buy me the 17"s and brake setups, I'll have a BLAST until it becomes popular. (even when it get's "popular" it will never become anything "BIG"...it's too much of a niche market IMHO) Deal?? :cry: :cry:

Nothing should be about "being popular", It should be about having fun!! And unless you're out to win a championship or make a career out of it, that's all it should be.

I think it would be great if we had on the East Coast what you guys have on the West Coast. We have 1 track in New York and 1 track 400 miles away in near Pittsburgh. We have no practice time to speak of and the races are only on Saturdays. I really don't think the sport will stop growing here but I don't think we will ever see it become truly main stream like motocross. Supermoto is also more costly than main stream amature racing, it cost $20 to $25 per class in MX and $65 per class in supermoto. And the set up is still fairly pricey after spending a ton on a new bike. :cry:

To move forward, we would see improved turnout if the races were on Sundays and all the guys and girls that work in the industry (like me) would be able to race. Also, if the tracks (and we need more of them badly) would have true Supermoto track days and not 10 minute sessions between cart pratices. This sport would grow alot faster. :cry: :cry:

Linco,

Sounds like you need someone to start organizing a series over there. There must be kart tracks around that area would be glad to work with you.

The Circleville Kart track in Ohio is having around 10 to 12 races next year, sign up was $20 TO $25 per race this year and practice is only $15 it is open for practice constantly and more and more riders show up every race. Lots of spectators are showing up too.

I am from NY and next season Englishtown is suppose to have a motard track. They have a great kart track and a new road course that is not going to work for street bikes or cars due to a an era in designing it so motard seems to be the best thing. If you look at the link and go to road course turn 8 and 10 are heading into each other if one was to fall they would fly into the other side of the track :cry:

http://www.etownraceway.com/

This mess up could very well benefit us! :cry:

Supermotard-usa.com are trying to set things up

:cry:

Thanks Johnu

But the supermotard-usa Eric and Jason and familys do a great job with our series. I just wish there were more opportunities for practice and Sundays for racing. That is what will help the sport grow. Many people out there that would race supermoto have to work on Saturday. :cry: If the sport grows enough then maybe more tracks will pop up. :cry:

Our cart track locally was nice enough to run a perminate dirt section too, but we don't get to use it when we have track days becuase it would upset the cart guys. I think the fees are a little out of line for $48 per person for a track day that consist of six 10 minute sessions from 10 am to 5pm with all skill levels (including kids) on the track at the same time. :cry:

Jolly

We keep hearing that E-town will be a part of Supermoto but that is yet to be seen. I have been there and the track looks great but will it happen?????? :cry:

So Rad,

I'm glad to hear that Circleville is holding all of those events next year. If they are having any on Sundays my boy and I will be there racing for sure!! :cry:

Linco

Do you run at Cuddebackville? I will be there next season, I only wish there was a few more days this year to check it out. I am totally new to this sport and have not raced moto yet but I have had my road race license for two years now. I bought a Duke II for the street and loved it so I decided racing one has to be ten times more fun. I just picked up a left over Cannondale S440. All I need to do is safety wire it and through a catch can on and I am ready. The only problem is the winter is here :cry:

I have checked out the schedule at OVRP and it def. sucks there are not more practise days. Every day during the week and most weekends there are kart practises maybe they will give the motards more time next year. :cry:

Jolly,

I have race there as well as done track days, I was racing my CRF250. The track owner will allow supermoto bikes most weekends from what he told me. However, its still not a true supermoto track day. Its a 4 or 5 cart classes, pocketbikes, and all supermotos running togethter. That is a little scary since us slower guys have to run with the fast guys that only know wide open or crash (you listening Hartigan)!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anyway, I'm hoping that we can run some Sundays so myself (with my new job) and other people that really can't take Saturdays off can come out and race. If not, I will be selling a set of new Honda wheels if anyone is interested. :cry:

Linco

So you are saying most weekends you can run a motard with Karts and Pocketbikes at the same time? I thought you can only run on SMUSA days? Is there any days left his year? Is there someone I can contact at OVRP? I thought you could only run on SM days.... :cry:

You can ask them at www.ovrp.com since I have been working Saturdays I really have not been able look into it. He did have 3 track days this year that were "Supermoto days" but again they were really not since you had to pay $48 for 10 minutes of pratice and then wait an hour to go out for another 10 minutes Etc. :cry:

Linco

I just checked out the schedule they have a few practises coming up open to motards. Have you ever done a day like this? Does it include the dirt? Are you running with karts at the same time?

Thanks

James

James,

As I mentioned above, no dirt section, and you wait until all the cart guys go through thier 5 classes and then they let the motard guys out on the track all together. Experts,Novices,kids, all run together on bikes. :cry:

Linco

Thanks for the info. I am going to call them this week and find out the exact details. I really want to hit a track day on the new tard since I have never done it. I just have to get my bike ready, it needs a catch can and to be safety wired. I am not sure if you need all that for a track day. I keep my bike up by my sister this time of year which is 10 miles from OVRP so I would have to prep it friday night for sat. hmmm..

Linco

PS I spoke to someone over there and it is from 10-5 for $35 dollars and they will be rotating classes. Last sat. there was a few guys on tards running maybe this week there will be a few more. I hope to make it but I have work to do!