Sign in to follow this  

Front Master Cyl Switch

Has anyone tried attaching a switch to a stock offroad-only-style front brake master cyl. to make it

ativate a bake light switch?

My friend needed a replacement for his DRZ-S, and obtained a stock CRF450 master cyl

(looks exactly like DRZ-E model),

but then realized that there's no switchgear for the brake light.

Any possible solutions? Anyone try rigging it up somehow?

Thanks for any input...

:cry:

Thanks Gyro,

but is that for a rear brake? We're looking specifically for front brake applications.

Are the ones on that link for front brake?

Thanks man

Thanks very much for the info fellas!

I'll let him know there's hope.

BTW, was it easy to do? Any final install pics?

I had to ask

tthanks again

Keep on RIPPIN'

That is what I've used, on the front, and it's a 10 x 1.25. :cry:

Same here...works good! :cry:

From my experience, those hydraulic pressure switches aren't too good for a front brake application. I've got one on the rear brake of my Aprilia RSV and it works well because dragging the brake slightly through a turn won't switch on the light. It takes higher pressure - holding the bike on the back brake at stop lights - to operate the brake light.

You want the front brake to show a light whenever you touch the lever. I think you'll already have scrubbed off a fair amount of speed before you've squeezed the lever hard enough for the pressure to trip the switch. On the street, that could be enough for a car to hit you when he fails to realise you're slowing down rapidly.

Others may have found these switches to be more sensitive than I've found - maybe the bore and stroke of the front brake MC delivers switch tripping pressure much more quickly. But, IMHO, a microswitch will do the job really better, as long as it's watertight.

Cheers

Ian

C197770-02.jpg

These are they! It's best to by one that's normally closed - no spring pressure, light is on. You have to mount one somewhere that allows the switch to be pressed by the brake lever when the lever is at rest but is released when the lever is pulled.

The ones shown are available in the UK - there'll be similar available in the US from any good electronics supplier - and are sealed to prevent water from entering.

Your only difficulty is finding where to mount one so it works reliably.

They're cheap - about $5 should buy a good one.

Cheers

Ian