Sign in to follow this  

Delta Center Arenacross on Jan 1??

We moved here in January of last year, and were told that on Jan 1 there was an AX race at the Delta Center, and that it happens each year. Is this true? Who sponsors/manages it? I realize it's still a ways out, but I'd like to know more about it. I want to make sure my kids get signed up early. Any indoor racing in January sounds like good racing!

I go to the national arenacross race at the pepsi center every year. Its awsome. tight track but fun. I think it in Jan too.

I don't know if there will be a New Years arenacross this year. I may be wrong, but I don't think there was one last year, but there was the year before. After the event it got some bad press on the local news stations (kids getting hurt.....interviewing ER doctors). I haven't heard anything about one this year.

I went the year before last and it was crazy. The track was challenging to the fastest pros. There was a triple that had a very short approach right out of a turn and the triple was designed and built poorly. The run-out on the landing was about 4 feet long. Most of the pros were only landing cleanly about 20% of the time. When one of the 125 motos went off the fastest kid out there just went for it. Unfortunately, in trying to get enough speed out of the corner, his bike wheelied right before the take-off so he hit the face with the front tire off the ground. The crash was absolutely terrifying for everyone watching. The rear end kicked him up and forward really hard and he basically did a front flip and landed on his head/back just before the peak of the landing some 60 feet away. His family was right there on the front row just above where he crashed. It was the strangest series of events I have ever seen at a race. Initially he kind of rolled around a little like he was ok but then that stopped. As he lay there not moving two or three EMT's walked over to him and just stood there looking down at him for maybe 30 seconds. Then one of them bent down and checked him and then they went crazy working on him. There was such a crowd around him it was hard to see but I think I saw them doing CPR at one point. I think he was paralyzed at first but haven't heard how he is doing since then. I know his last name is Jolley but don't know the first name.

The race was poorly run from a safety standpoint. When that kid crashed they waited for 2 more laps to redflag the race. Pretty scary to see life-saving measures going on while bikes land all around and race past. There were several other serious injuries in addition to that major one. I'm sure this is the reason they didn't do it last year and won't this year. Too much liability for a small privately run group I would guess.

Wow, sorry to hear about that crash. It would be nice if we could have some kind of racing / riding during the winter months, w/o having to drive 4 hours south.

Now that "utahgoon" related that story....I remember that happening. I wasn't there, but I remember lots of stories and talk about that rider. I don't remember his name, but it was really sad. That kind of thing just bothers me.

As far as racing is concerned....there is usually the Thanksiving Classic in St. George, but now has been moved to Mesquite. Then, things pick up again in February. There is sometimes a MX race in February, but the second or third week of February is always the kick off of the desert racing season with the annual Rhino Rally in St. George Utah.

I heard that the Wizards may quit organizing the Rhino Rally :cry: Something about the BLM wants to charge them outrageous amounts for their services - something similar to what they're doing with the Bookcliff Rattlers.

http://www.sharetrails.org/releases/media/index.cfm?story=318&selmonth=11&selyear=2002

Does anyone else know what the status of the Rhino Rally is?